Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Magazines.. How many is enough?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    You can have enough, but you can never have too many!!!!!
    I “came of age” during the AWB and agree with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You need to have enough serious ammo too. I keep 40 USGI mags for my two ARs and enough Speer JSPs to load them all twice. All my XM193 is nice but really just practice ammo.

And you need a way to carry extra mags for fighting. I like the Blue Force Gear Ten Speed chest rigs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    You need to have enough serious ammo too. I keep 40 USGI mags for my two ARs and enough Speer JSPs to load them all twice. All my XM193 is nice but really just practice ammo.

And you need a way to carry extra mags for fighting. I like the Blue Force Gear Ten Speed chest rigs.
    Yea, I don't stock alot of premium ammo other than IMI MK262 but I have pallets of M193. I keep 3 Fat .50 Cans full of loaded mags for "Oh Shit"....28 mags to a can MK262. I rotate those out about every ten years. I'm actually due for a rotation next year I want to say. Not likely I will be able to replace the ammo with new but I have some purchased earlier this year that will have to do.

I have a love hate relationship with chest rigs. The micro rigs like a Haley or a Hill People I love, otherwise they are too damn hot here. I prefer belt rigs for the most part, unless armor is a consideration....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    It really depends on how far you want to mentally masturbate the what-ifs.

What are you trying to do and plan for? Home Invasion? Magazine Ban? Riots? Patrolling post-apocalyptic suburbs? I find most of the people who ask the question have never actually worn out a magazine.

Enough to practice with and enough to keep a few loaded with Self-Defense ammo is a good place to start. Then put a few back to replace the training ones that you will wear out/break. I've had a few PMAGS crack down the spine and it's nice to be able to chuck the thing and replace it.

There's no magic number. And current realities and what is deemed reasonable are unlikely to be the same a few years from now.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    They say ammo will be currency, but mags will be too. You can have 5k rounds of 5.56, but if you only have a few good mags it doesn’t matter...
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    They say ammo will be currency, but mags will be too. You can have 5k rounds of 5.56, but if you only have a few good mags it doesn’t matter...
    The reverse is true as well.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I would never use ammo to barter with. You want to be the one with the ammunition. Alcohol and cigarettes are for bartering, and maybe Silver Eagles.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I don't think so to nearly the same degree. When growing up and shooting a lot, most of us had a rifle or pistol with very few magazines. The explosion over the last 20 years has ensured a glut of magazines for decades to come. I can't ever imagine truly wearing out the AR and Glock mags I have. Guns are plentiful, just not for retail now, but most here have many more than we truly need.

Ammo is king. I can still shoot without 50 magazines, really or even one. Ammo will run out way before magazines wear out or get lost.

If you're really needing a full combat load and using it regularly you will be dead way before your mags wear out.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What kind of fire fight do you plan on being in? If you are a civ or LE you are most likely going start and end the fight with whatever is in the gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    What kind of fire fight do you plan on being in? If you are a civ or LE you are most likely going start and end the fight with whatever is in the gun.
    Six months ago that was true. Now, your future maybe looks more like this-

https://images.app.goo.gl/pzsHFRgfL6n2ypKo6

https://images.app.goo.gl/59J8zZGEwYiDcoVP7

https://images.app.goo.gl/qsPfdR3irbGCG4gXA

I'm prepared for BOTH.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast