Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Magazines.. How many is enough?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Go take a Combat Patrol class and then decide. A typical break contact drill will end up with 2 magazines on the ground, maybe 3, spread out over 100 yards of terrain.... and you may never see them again in the real world.
    What, you didn't have dump pouches for your empty mags?

I guess that the number of mags you need depends on how many break contacts you plan on surviving. If it's that bad, pretty soon you'll rotate up to point, you know.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    What, you didn't have dump pouches for your empty mags?

I guess that the number of mags you need depends on how many break contacts you plan on surviving. If it's that bad, pretty soon you'll rotate up to point, you know.
    We did speed reloads, dumping the empty or mostly empty mags without regard to dump pouch assumption being that when bullets were flying in your direction a $10 magazine wasn't worth the worry....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Short answer is you can never have too many magazines. I make it a habit to buy a least two mags a month, either Magpul or Okay Industries.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I keep minimum of 15 mags per gun.
    Also run a dump pouch on warbelt, if opportunity presents to use it.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Short answer is you can never have too many magazines. I make it a habit to buy a least two mags a month, either Magpul or Okay Industries.
    This is the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ...Also run a dump pouch on warbelt, if opportunity presents to use it.
    During admin, behind cover, etc, I use a dump pouch. Under duress, I realistically expect I may lose a mag. I think experience will reflect this for most.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have AR mags in the garage 10 years old or more that I've never come close to needing to pull into rotation. Having a healthy stash of mags is a good thing, but I really think people go WAY overboard.

I'd guess I have like 40-50 AR mags, most of which will likely never be needed from wearing out my active use mags.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think I have almost 200 AR mags. Maybe more than 200?

I honestly don’t know actually.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have AR mags in the garage 10 years old or more that I've never come close to needing to pull into rotation. Having a healthy stash of mags is a good thing, but I really think people go WAY overboard.

I'd guess I have like 40-50 AR mags, most of which will likely never be needed from wearing out my active use mags.
    Last big panic in 2012 I unloaded nearly all of my "practice, daily use" etc....AR mags. I sold a PILE of mags at stupid prices. I had accumulated them over 25 years or so, an absolute mish mash of stuff, pre ban, post ban, USGI surplus, gunshow purchases, pawn shop buys....Some of them were nearly Gold in color, the anodizing had worn off. I pulled about 30 brand new mags out of storage and began using those for classes and range use etc..... Then, especially with the big downturn in prices in 2016 I bought and bought and bought. In a good place now as even my hardest used mags are only 4 years old and of much better quality, uniformity.....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I was just getting into to AR's big time when I asked around, how many mags are enough. I had maybe 10 mags and of corse I ended up thinking that is not enough. So I ponied up and bought 100/$1,000 in mags from BCM two days before Sandy Hook. I thought I would get my order cancelled but they came in $$$$$$$. A few months ago, I heard Bennie on the TV and bought some more I didnt need for good measure.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If you have to ask, you don't have enough.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast