Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: University of Texas Dell Medical Center Study on Tourniquet use by Civilians

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Broblem being not everything needs a tq. Many injuries just need a pressure dressing and idiots throw a tq on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Broblem being not everything needs a tq. Many injuries just need a pressure dressing and idiots throw a tq on it.
    Well in my defense, it was the worst paper cut I've ever seen in my entire life.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    This is my next move also. I watched a video by Karl Erickson, Tactical Rifleman, who has medical training and experience. He made a big point of buying a tourniquet made in North America and not some cheap crap made in China for airsoft appearance purposes. So I intend to put together a kit from my local military surplus company.
    North American Rescue (CAT) and Tactical Medical Solutions (SOF-T) are probably the 'better' sources, but you can find reputable TQs from many vendors (to include Chinook Med, My Medic, and others).

Yes, like that moron in Kenosha....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Nice. I just started putting together a small IFAK, and this makes me feel slightly less silly in doing so. I've narrowed it down to tourniquet, combat gauze, chest seals, trauma shears, nasopharyngeal, and pneumothorax. If there's room left, I'll add an Israeli bandage and maybe a space blanket.
    Background in medical field or what training do you have for the chest decompression needle?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Old post I know.

What is the cost of an unneeded TQ, applied by a layman who couldn't tell whether or not it was needed?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post
    Background in medical field or what training do you have for the chest decompression needle?
    This is often a contentious issue. An IFAK is to be used on YOU, by someone else. You might get a trauma surgeon, you might get Ricky Rescue who saw it on Youtube. The probability is more the latter and not the former. I do not advocate anyone use one if they have not been trained. Even if you have been trained, depending on state law, you may or may not be liable regardless of any Good Samaritan laws.

I will say, in 30 years (almost 31 now), I have never seen anyone die of a singular tension pneumo. TPs are usually accompanied by other things, and those other things are usually the cause of death.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Old post I know.

What is the cost of an unneeded TQ, applied by a layman who couldn't tell whether or not it was needed?
    $20 for peace of mind. If they don't need it and it was applied correctly, then everything is OK. If it WAS needed and it was applied correctly, then there's that...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    $20 for peace of mind. If they don't need it and it was applied correctly, then everything is OK. If it WAS needed and it was applied correctly, then there's that...

That is precisely the SOP I have had in my mind for awhile now, based upon various gathered info. When in doubt,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I will say, in 30 years (almost 31 now), I have never seen anyone die of a singular tension pneumo. TPs are usually accompanied by other things, and those other things are usually the cause of death.
    I’m not an expert at all, but I feel like needing to do decompression as a citizen seems like a unicorn scenario. TQs, bandages, gauze and a cell phone seem way more useful than a needle.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Old post I know.

As others have said, there is no real downside to a correctly applied TQ unless it’s on for an incredibly long time.

Class I just took said: If you aren’t sure if it needs a TQ, it needs a TQ.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123