Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train with one scope / reticle or don't worry about it?

Feedback Score

Train with one scope / reticle or don't worry about it?

To clarify, I'm not talking about rifles with vastly different uses (i.e. long-range vs. cqb)

but hypothetically, if one owned multiple rifles with the same barrel length, gas system, twist etc. is there any reason not to put different brands (with different reticles) on those rifles?

or is it better to find a scope / reticle you like and use the same one on all your similar weapons - so any one you pick up will offer the same sight picture that you're used to?

Or am I overthinking this, and there's not enough of a difference between different optic brands and their reticles to worry about...?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Equip each gun for the role you intend it to fill.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Equip each gun for the role you intend it to fill.
    Right, but what I'm asking is if you have multiple rifles with the same role

Say I want to equip a 1-8 LPVO on 2 similar rifles (again, same barrel length, twist, gas length etc), does it make a difference for speed / training if you got (for example) a Leupold for one and a Burris for the other?
    or would it be better to get the same scope for both, so no matter which one you grab you're brain doesn't lose a split second thinking / calculating which reticle it's looking at?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    No big difference to me. I shoot a lot of other guys' guns with various optics, and the reticle changes don't bother me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire View Post
    Right, but what I'm asking is if you have multiple rifles with the same role

Say I want to equip a 1-8 LPVO on 2 similar rifles (again, same barrel length, twist, gas length etc), does it make a difference for speed / training if you got (for example) a Leupold for one and a Burris for the other?
    or would it be better to get the same scope for both, so no matter which one you grab you're brain doesn't lose a split second thinking / calculating which reticle it's looking at?
    I don't see how it would make a large enough difference to matter outside of maybe remembering which scope is mills and which is moa. I think this is more of an OCD thing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I don't see how it would make a large enough difference to matter outside of maybe remembering which scope is mills and which is moa.
    That's a pain.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Alright, cool thanks.

I was wanting to try out some different scopes and then worried that maybe I should be finding one good one and sticking with it, but I will feel free to experiment!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thinking about it, if it were me and I had multiple guns configured for the same purpose I would probably want commonality.
    Right now I have a 14.5” carbine and an 11.5” SBR that are configured almost identically. Aside from barrel length they differ in only some minor details (Chopped carry handle rear sight vs LMT rear sight, one has a Surefire G2X mounted at 11 O’clock, the other has a Streamlight mounted at 11 O’clock etc, Hogue pistol grip vs A2 etc..) but overall the setups are extremely similar. I like the similarity, even if it is a bit boring.

Feedback Score
    So I have a 2x Accupower 1-8’s my VCOG 1-8 has a very similar reticle, I have some stuff that’s similar but not the exact same. Just like I don’t run all my guns with the same stock, trigger, grip. I have some stuff with MRO, Eotech, Holosun, I have two different VCOG’s different Accupoints, I keep stuff kind of similar but not carbon copies. I kind of like being able to pick up different stuff from my competition stuff, home defense, to bone stock SP1 rifles. I rather be pretty decent with a bunch of different guns than stellar with one tricked out gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One negative aspect that may exist with the use of different reticles is that the subtensions may be different. Naturally, this doesn't matter if you dial for elevation and windage.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-10-20 at 20:21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast