Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lpvo on an Sbr is 1-4 optional?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Lpvo on an Sbr is 1-4 optional?

I have an 11.3" sbr that I run suppressed I just started shooting it at the range and I want to try something with magnification. I can hit steel at 100 yards with a red dot but I feel the strain on my eyes focusing that far out lol. My guess is my maxim effective range is around 200 yards with the sbr in an SD situation. So in my head 1-4 lpvo is more than enough. It would be the equivalent of taking a 50 yard shot on 1x as taking a 200 yard shoot on 4x? Never shot magnification correct me if I'm wrong. I do understand bullet drop and trijectory though.

Is there disadvantaged to getting something that is 1-6 or 1-8? If I had to guess the only disadvantage are weight and eye relief? But I'm really new to lpvo's so that's why I'm asking.

Is the nightforce 1-4 a, good choice? Looking at it because it's light and small. What are some other great options in or around that size? I am going to pick up the leupold 1.5-4 lpvo for a 22 my kids shot so I'll get to work with something before I dive in.

Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    It would be the equivalent of taking a 50 yard shot on 1x as taking a 200 yard shoot on 4x? Never shot magnification correct me if I'm wrong.
    Only if you have lenses with perfect clarity and correction, no atmospheric distortion (mirage), and no haze. In reality it's never quite that good.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The majority, if not all lpvo’s will not have as good of 1x performance as a red dot. That performance gets worse when you start increasing magnification range (ie, x6, x8, x10) and more so with FFP. So if you want as close to red dot like performance, you want a 1-4/1-6 in SFP. If you plan on/intend on shooting at greater distance then say 100/200yds MOST of the time, then sure the higher magnification is more valuable then 1x performance and go with a x6,8, or 10. Personally I think the FFP on a lpvo does more harm then good as usually your shooting at either 1x or max magnification so FFP isn’t needed. Plus it comes at expense of 1x.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    The majority, if not all lpvo’s will not have as good of 1x performance as a red dot. That performance gets worse when you start increasing magnification range (ie, x6, x8, x10) and more so with FFP. So if you want as close to red dot like performance, you want a 1-4/1-6 in SFP. If you plan on/intend on shooting at greater distance then say 100/200yds MOST of the time, then sure the higher magnification is more valuable then 1x performance and go with a x6,8, or 10. Personally I think the FFP on a lpvo does more harm then good as usually your shooting at either 1x or max magnification so FFP isn’t needed. Plus it comes at expense of 1x.
    Im not sure what I want but in my head I want 1x for self defense and magnification for the range plinking out to 300 yards. So im looking to try an lpvo that could serve both those purposes so I don't need two optics. I love my leupold lco but when I'm at the range shooting out at 100+ it gets daunting and less fun.

Edit, I get ffp and sfp but what I read in one post was that sfp didn't seem to be as durable?
    Last edited by Twilk73; 08-10-20 at 23:12.

Feedback Score

Lpvo on an Sbr is 1-4 optional?

1-4 is perfectly functional to 300y, it’s actually (4.2x) the limit for service rifle competition at 600y where the top competitors are scoring nearly perfect (there now has been a perfect score all Xs). 4x is good. I like my 1-4 better actually than the 1-6 because the glass is a little better (1-4 Vortex Viper PST vs 1-6 Vortex StrikeEagle).

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
    Last edited by lordmorgul; 08-10-20 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Get LPVO with day light bright illuminated recticle, you can shot close range close to speed of red dot. Or put a red dot with 45 offset mount, pretty popular set up nowadays thanks to the 3gunners.

Feedback Score
    IME, LPVOs just aren't as good as an RDS for typical self-defense purposes. On the flat range running stand-up drills, and LPVO can be run just as fast as an RDS without too much effort, but once you get into unorthodox shooting positions, the RDS is typically for more forgiving; one could definitely work up the skill to run an LPVO as fast as an RDS, but there is much more effort involved, IMO, just because of eyebox issues. I am much more a pistol shooter than a rifle shooter, and when doing matches that utilize VTAC barricades, I find using my CompM5 on my 11.5" to be much more forgiving with head positioning than my Kahles k16i on my 14.5" when it comes down to doing the ports in awkward positions. If you're willing to put in the work, I think an LPVO with a good eyebox is definitely a great choice; if you're not going to be practicing regularly, or will not have the budget to get an LPVO with a good eyebox, I would be much more hesitant about having it on a gun that you plan to rely on for self-defense (if you have other guns you would usually grab before that one, then NBD IMO).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have an assortment of rifles in various barrel lengths ranging from 10 to 16 inches. I use a variety of optics to include MRO and Romeo 4T red dots, as well as LPVOs. My favorite optic as of late has been the tried and true Trijicon Accupoint in 1-4X24 using the red triangle reticle. It is fiber optic illuminated during the day and tritium at night, so always on. Very bright during the day (adjustable) and bright enough at night. I use the tip of the triangle as a 50/200 zero and find it good to go. The easiest to shoot of everything I have tried so far. Reasonably lightweight and usual Trijicon tough. It's been around for awhile, but maybe there's a reason for that.
    Last edited by kyjd75; 09-02-20 at 08:38.

Feedback Score
    I have two of the Sig Tango4 1-4 optics and they are very good, the one knock on them is they aren't the brightest and can wash out a little in very bright sunlight.

Palmetto State has the version with the horseshoe on sale, I'm not sure how that reticle is on a LPVO though.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...t41111-a1.html

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    IME, LPVOs just aren't as good as an RDS for typical self-defense purposes. On the flat range running stand-up drills, and LPVO can be run just as fast as an RDS without too much effort, but once you get into unorthodox shooting positions, the RDS is typically for more forgiving; one could definitely work up the skill to run an LPVO as fast as an RDS, but there is much more effort involved, IMO, just because of eyebox issues. I am much more a pistol shooter than a rifle shooter, and when doing matches that utilize VTAC barricades, I find using my CompM5 on my 11.5" to be much more forgiving with head positioning than my Kahles k16i on my 14.5" when it comes down to doing the ports in awkward positions. If you're willing to put in the work, I think an LPVO with a good eyebox is definitely a great choice; if you're not going to be practicing regularly, or will not have the budget to get an LPVO with a good eyebox, I would be much more hesitant about having it on a gun that you plan to rely on for self-defense (if you have other guns you would usually grab before that one, then NBD IMO).
    I find it interesting that unorthodox positions and especially a VTAC barricade is the litmus test for what is considered "real world" capable? How many times are you going to have to do urban prone, roll over prone, or shoot from your back in a real world use of your gun? How many VTAC barricades are you going to have to shoot through the low angled port from in the street? I'd bet 99% of real world shooting will be done on your feet, over and around cover, or moving (which is where I can see a real -albeit small- advantage to a RDS over a LPVO...then again, unless we're talking room clearing distance, you should probably be either shooting OR moving)

Conversely, how likely is it you'll need more than 1x to PID someone shooting up a wal-mart? Or just get the extra magnification to take a precision shot?

All this is fairly theoretical for us as civilians at this point, but if you're looking to get the most out of the AR platform, for a general purpose optic where you don't know what scenario is going to require you to use it, a LPVO beats a RDS...IMO.

For a HD gun, I run a RDS btw.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 08-11-20 at 10:38.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast