Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lpvo on an Sbr is 1-4 optional?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    I think that in most cases, the extra magnification is not so much for long-range shooting, as it is for target identification. Long-range capability is nice, and that's why I prefer a BDC...
    I agree with this.

I would like to add that reticle choice is extremely important with FFP optics. People like to lie to themselves and choose a 1-4 FFP for a shtf/combat/general purpose gun, and use it for shooting groups from the bench and then bitch about how the reticle sucks, and vice versa.
    Pick a reticle that matches the role.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 08-19-20 at 18:56.

Feedback Score
    Count me in the "red dot for all defensive guns" camp. Sure there's the bad shooting positions thing, but there's also the being rushed... the being scared because now it's real... the I haven't had time to train much lately... Add to that the fact that it's "self defense" and unless it's SHTF rule without law... you're gonna have to answer for why you took the shot. Good luck trying to convince the 6 or 8 liberals on the jury that the 100+ yard shot was "defensive" in nature.

An AR pistol, or SBR is a close range gun if it's for self defense. Besides, with terminal ballistics, you don't really want to be using a shorty AR at that kind of distance anyway...

Now it you want it for range shooting... sure a 1-4 LVPO is plenty enough depending on your eyesight.
    Me, I have a 1-8 on my 18" Larue Stealth 2.0, but I'm old, and have bad eyes.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I agree with this.

I would like to add that reticle choice is extremely important with FFP optics. People like to lie to themselves and choose a 1-4 FFP for a shtf/combat/general purpose gun, and use it for shooting groups from the bench and then bitch about how the reticle sucks, and vice versa.
    Pick a reticle that matches the role.
    This. IMO nobody has cracked the code yet for a good FFP reticle for a 1-4x optic. It's either too small to be useful at 1x or it's too thick to be precise at 4x. Anything in the 1-4x or 1-6x range I say just stick with SFP. Even 1-8x is questionable for me. YMMV.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    I gone the route that you use different rifles/ optics for different roles.
    At home I have a suppressed 11.5 " barrel with a T2 and a white light.
    If I leave the house, its a 16" barrel with a Gen2 Razor 1x6. It also mounts a brighter white light with more throw. The suppressor is optional.
    I have a Steiner 1x4 on another 16", but it doesn't match the eye box and ease of use of the Vortex.
    All LPVO get throw levers and stay on low power. Anything that might be used for real, white light. I can't picture a realistic scenario where I will be "defending" at a range I need to dial. So set a zero appropriate to the task, inside or out, and know your holds.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Now it you want it for range shooting... sure a 1-4 LVPO is plenty enough depending on your eyesight.
    Me, I have a 1-8 on my 18" Larue Stealth 2.0, but I'm old, and have bad eyes.
    Yep. The 1-8 I run is totally a range toy for shooting 100-750 yards. ZERO part of the LPVO (that I can think of) makes sense for defense in the civilian role.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    This. IMO nobody has cracked the code yet for a good FFP reticle for a 1-4x optic
    No doubt. We run two LPVOs for med/long range, but every so often we'll run them at 40 yards or so on the plate rack. The first time I dialed the 1-8X down, I was like "Where did the reticle go?"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234