Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shockwave 590 shoots high

Feedback Score

Shockwave 590 shoots high

How to fix?

Has the small factory bead. Shoots about a foot high by 20 yards.

Taller bead? XS Big Dot? Add an RDS? Or just bury the bead into the sight plane when aiming?

Feedback Score
    I've no good answer as I've got three 18.5" ghost ring sighted shotguns which are great, but my most-recent gun is a Remington Tac-14 (similar to a Mossberg Shockwave) which also just had a bead front sight. I suspect my Tac-14 shoots very similar to the Shockwave, although I've got the version which came with an SB Tactical brace.

It's difficult to get the barrel and bead sight up high enough to my eyes to sight-in.

In the old days during range qual days with a bead sight and shooting slugs, the Range Master would just say "aim at the waist" to get the hits and qualify.

Other folks say to use the bead merely as a guide and, instead, focus on the threat/target; then shoot enough where the hold and cheek-weld become 2nd nature.

Yesterday, I've just finished epoxying on an XS big dot sight on my Tac-14, but haven't yet gotten around to shooting with it.

If I get too frustrated, I'll just buy an SBS and wait a year for approval. The other option was to find a rifle-sighted 14" barrel, or have ghost ring sights added to the gun (I might as well put the money toward the sbs, then). Third option would be to sbs the Tac-14, but don't want to bother with all the paperwork, even though the wait time would be much less; then I'd still need the barrel or sights, and get the receiver engraved somewhere per SBS conversion rules.

EDITED TO ADD:
    https://www.mesatactical.com/sureshe...eatured&page=2

I've also considered a Pic-rail-shell-holder to mount some type of red dot. It's just all so much time & money, plus it's just making a nice simple firearm more complex.

Another Edit to Add, 8/18/20:
    Within the first 50 rounds the sight came off. During installation, I had to cut the brass bead off as the bead wouldn't fit into the sight's hole. Perhaps the main reason for the sight coming off was my use of JB Weld's "Kwik Weld", which is what I happened to have laying around the house. The "Kwik Weld" version has a lower temperature and strength rating than the regular JB Weld.

I luckily found the $60 sight on the ground as it didn't fly very far. I bought the regular JB Weld version and the sight was re-attached and it's curing as I type this. I also decided to wrap a tie wrap around the barrel and sight and may keep the tie-wrap permanently there as I don't want to risk losing that $60 sight again. Otherwise, I'd want to drill & tap the existing base and screw-in a replacement bead of some sort (just not a $60 one, next time).
    Last edited by L-2; 08-18-20 at 19:47. Reason: More info after shooting with XS sight today

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive got A LOT of rounds thru mine..and mine "shot high" until I figured out it was me.
    Yes, that crappy little bead is..crappy. Got a big dot coming for mine.
    But, it is really, technique. You do kinda have to get into the top of the reciever without popping yourself in the face of course.
    I ran a bunch of slugs & different sized buck thru mine....one you "learn" how to sight it, youll be amazed at how you can really hit with that thing. I like mine a lot. Hope this helps.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys.

I'll keep working with it as is.

Awhile back I bought a bunch or lower-recoil slugs because I like to train with them. They dont tear up cardboard as much as shot and it's easy to see exactly where your poi was. (50 yds and in, mostly under 20 yds)

I wish I'd bought more, now, but I was trying to phase out defensive shotguns. But the Shockwave and brace brought me back 😎

Oh, the 590 is tapped for an optics rail, but I'd prefer to keep things simple.
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-12-20 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What brace adapter do you have?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    It's difficult to get the barrel and bead sight up high enough to my eyes to sight-in.

In the old days during range qual days with a bead sight and shooting slugs, the Range Master would just say "aim at the waist" to get the hits and qualify.

Other folks say to use the bead merely as a guide and, instead, focus on the threat/target; then shoot enough where the hold and cheek-weld become 2nd nature.
    You simply need to focus on keeping your head erect and bringing the comb to your cheek. That 'slugs shoot high' was propogated by the FBI way back when, largely because they were teaching folks to mount the shotgun like they were upland hunting.

From behind you, an observer should be able to see the heel of the stock breaking over your shoulder if you've got it mounted high enough into your shoulder.

Think 'head erect, up to the cheek, back to the shoulder' until its a natural mount. It works for critters who aren't flying, honest.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun; shooting high? Lower rear sight/eye.
    Either by posture or comb height.
    Last edited by gaijin; 08-12-20 at 15:31. Reason: Dyslexia .
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    What brace adapter do you have?
    SB tactical from GGG iirc. It was about $200. Worth it! Solid and adjustable for length.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the aiming advice. The last few shotguns I've had had front and rear sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks for the aiming advice. The last few shotguns I've had had front and rear sights.
    Think of the flat top of the receiver as the rear sight plane. The bed should just be touching the rear sight plane, kind of like the sun as it begins to disappear o'er the horizon when your at sea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast