Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it legal to refuse to accept cash as payment?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I don't blame them for not taking cash. Few people under 40 can tell time on an analog clock much less make change!
    I drink iced tea with meals, a lot of it. Once as a joke, when I was at a meal on a ride with some buddies, I asked the waitress what tea cost. It was $2.99, and I told her that I thought $.50 was a fair price so she had better plan on bringing me six refills. I don't think I drank six, but she kept me full and earned a good tip. It's become a running joke when we go places.

A couple nights ago my wife and I went out to eat and when I asked for iced tea my wife said something snarky to me about getting my money's worth. The waitress looked kind of puzzled, so I asked the waitress how much tea cost. A dollar ninety nine. I told her a fair price is $.50 a glass and that I would need to be refilled until I reached that price per glass. She asked 'how many glasses will that be?'

Somehow that really saddened me.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Well either way, the remedy is the same:

Ask to speak to the manager or even better, the owner. And tell him/her/ze/apacheattackhelo EXACTLY why they will not be receiving you and your sphere of influences’ business until they change their cash policy.

But in a respectful way. And be sure to ask questions like “don’t you value privacy?” And “you know they’ll tax everyone like crazy once they have all transactions recorded on computer!” See what they say.
    I'm sure being a Karen will work just fine. That approach has worked for all other Karens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I'm sure being a Karen will work just fine. That approach has worked for all other Karens.
    LoL

Seriously though, often times speaking to the owner will put the thought into their head that they’re doing wrong by their clients. I have spoken to 2 different establishments about their no-firearms policy, and both apologized like crazy but said their insurance company advised them to ban weapons. I can’t foresee that excuse working for banning cash.

Maybe being a Karen has zero effect. But I’d like to think it makes local business owners take a moment to rethink their position, especially if we make a good case for our side.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bid a job a few years ago and my bid was $4875. The guy asked if I accepted cash. I laughed and said "yeah I'll take cash". Thought the guy was joking until he walked back into my shop an hour later with 5 G's in cash and told me to keep the change. Turns out, he was in the legal marijuana business and has a lot of cash on hand since they can't easily use banks.

Feedback Score
    I prefer cash for most things. One local burger joint stopped taking it and I read them the statement off my 20 dollar bill. I was with a coworker so I ate there but I haven’t been back. Unlike a lot of my landlord friends, I’m okay with tenants paying with cash. I actually prefer it but I’m also not in a horrible part of town when I pick it up from the one that pays in cash every once and a while. I just wish she’d pay with cash all the time!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123