Thread: Charging Handle Latch Retaining Pin

Feedback Score

Charging Handle Latch Retaining Pin

Has anyone here used a dowel pin for retaining the CH latch? If so, did it have to be an oversized 1/16x1/4 dowel pin or standard size?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I think you need to use a regular roll pin. Size depends on your charging handle. I think the standard is 5/64.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Would a coiled spring pin work?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    I think you need to use a regular roll pin. Size depends on your charging handle. I think the standard is 5/64.
    Its odd, but when you do a google search, 90% of the results state 5/64x5/16, but itÂ’s actually not right. Not sure if there are any that use a 5/64x5/16 roll pin, but the standard is 1/16x1/4 actually. 5/64x5/16 is the gas tube roll pin, and itÂ’s way too big.

Feedback Score
    It would work, but they are actually a lot weaker than slotted roll pins. I wasn’t aware of this until recently. I’m sure it’d be fine for a standard CH, but this is for ones using an ambi latch, and there’s a lot of stress on the pin. I ended up buying oversized and standard dowel pins, and will report back once I figure out if either will work.

Feedback Score
    1/4" is not the correct length. The pin is called out with a length range that begins longer than 1/4". The forward assist pawl pin is a non standard length also.

If you are looking for something a little stronger check the ratings on the heavy duty coil pins with that of the roll pins.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by curious1 View Post
    1/4" is not the correct length. The pin is called out with a length range that begins longer than 1/4". The forward assist pawl pin is a non standard length also.

If you are looking for something a little stronger check the ratings on the heavy duty coil pins with that of the roll pins.
    Do you know the correct length? I measured some I had purchased and one I removed from a standard CH and they were all right at 1/4” long and all had a diameter of 1/16 . Wonder if it varies. The one I removed from from a Colt Canada charging handle.

The heavy duty coil pins have right at the same “breaking strength” as the standard spring steel slotted roll pins (I was thinking it was actually less but just went over the specs again). They are much easier to install though.

I’m looking for a little more breaking strength than 400-450lb though. I should have the dowels in a few days. We’ll see if they’ll work. I’m not sure of their breaking strength, but I’d assume it’s much higher.

Edit: just checked the breaking strength of the dowel. So the spring steel slotted roll pin is 420lb, the heavy duty coil pin is 450lb, and the standard 4037 steel dowel pin at C60 hardness is 800lb. Huge difference. Now the question is whether they will fit and/or stay in place.
    Last edited by Monkeydo; 08-14-20 at 10:01.

Feedback Score
    Looks like it is .267" +/- .010"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeydo View Post
    I’m looking for a little more breaking strength than 400-450lb though. I should have the dowels in a few days. We’ll see if they’ll work. I’m not sure of their breaking strength, but I’d assume it’s much higher.
    If you are breaking any of those pins you are doing something very wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    If you are breaking any of those pins you are doing something very wrong.
    It’s for the Colt Canada latches that I’m cloning. I’d like to send a pin with each one I sell. I’ve heard CC went from a roll pin, to a solid, and supposedly back to a roll. The complete CC CH I have has a solid pin, but it could have been an older one. Not sure.

Either way, the oversized pin worked in the CC CH but was too small for a generic CH I have. So back to square one lol. I’m guessing my safest best is just to send a spare slotted roll pin or two with the latches since there seems to be some variations in the hole size. I haven’t broke a pin on any of my rifles that have the ambi latch, but just wanted to offer something robust just in case. I may do some more research to find out if CC really did go back to the roll pin. The heavy duty coil spring may be the best option given it can withstand about 50 more pounds.