Thread: Need advice for new duty light

Feedback Score

Need advice for new duty light

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some recommendations for a new duty light. I currently have a Surefire Defender Ultra (500lm), Surefire 6px pro (do not like the low-high, and 320lm), Surefire G2 with Malkoff insert, and Streamlight 1L. The brightest is the Defender Ultra and it has ok run time. I am looking for something that has higher lumens and more candela for a longer throw (not a fan of the "max vision" from SF).

My ideal package is something that can be pocket carried (if in plain clothes) and does not take up too much space on the duty belt. Something with "duel fuel" or 18650 batteries would be preferred as CR123's are not cheap, for me. Also has to be reliable.

Price range max of $200.

Thanks in advance.

Edit to add: Decided to get the Streamlight HL-X and Modlite OKW. I’m in the 2 is one camp. I keep the HL-X in my work bag as a backup.
    Last edited by captdreifus; 09-16-20 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These two come to mind:

Streamlight Protac HLX USB
    https://www.streamlight.com/products...x/protac-hl-x#

Surefire Dual Fuel Fury
    https://www.surefire.com/products/il...fuel-tactical/

They're a bit thick at the bezel for pocket carry though.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of Surefire E series lights due to their size and dual-output modes. I carry an E2 Defender in one of the small pockets on my Vertx uniform pants and an E1B Backup (single cell) off duty.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd take a look at the Klarus XT line of lights. I think their dual switch rear design is the best user interface out there.

My old gen XT11 took an absolute beating.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I'd take a look at the Klarus XT line of lights. I think their dual switch rear design is the best user interface out there.

My old gen XT11 took an absolute beating.
    I second Klarus. I have had multiple over the years and they work great for the $ with the best interface available. I have been using this new model XT21X for a few months and it came in really handy during the recent unpleasantness. Rioters and annoying motorcyclists didn't appreciate it like I did. The most effective strobe/bright effect I have had in 25 years of overpriced flashlights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCFWD2B..._xnDnFbBDJD31W

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-13-20 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    I'd suggest the Modlite but not for under $200.

The Surefire DF fury probably the best all around option as far as output, dual fuel and durability is concerned. The head is a bit thicc for pocket carry but not un-doable although I'd use a raven or thrym clip.
    https://www.surefire.com/products/il...fuel-tactical/
    https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Sing...7853853&sr=8-4
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Decided to get the Modlite OKW and Streamlight HL-X. A little over my initial budget, but buy once cry once. Edited the OP with a pic.

Feedback Score
    Dennis,

Whats the run time your getting on the Klarus? When should one recharge a Li-ion battery? Certain voltage? When its depleted?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by captdreifus View Post
    Dennis,

Whats the run time your getting on the Klarus? When should one recharge a Li-ion battery? Certain voltage? When its depleted?

Thanks
    I don't run it enough at once to go past the ~1hr runtime at full power. If you are smart enough to kick it down to just High if you are gonna keep it on for a long time (1200l) then the runtime will be 2+ hrs.

I recharge if it gets more than a few minutes of use during an outing or it's been sitting a couple weeks out of pure full power principle. Also your phone and laptop are li-ion and you charge the heck out of them!

Dennis.