Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Happy1 View Post
DG, I assume you mean the Delta, do you have a suggestion for springs to try?
Gunsprings.com

When I got into 460 Rowland I bought pretty much every weight spring they had available (hammer springs and recoil springs) along with a few different (smaller radius or no radius) firing pin stops.

Even buying multiples of some of the more common weights I knew I would be using there is no way I spent more than a few hundred bucks on springs. The best value is in the 'calibration packs' that include multiple different weights in the particular spring type.

Generally when springing my 460 for a new loading I will start with a recoil spring weight that I know is way too much. If the slide does not move at all after firing a round I will drop a few lbs in weight and try again. Once the slide is at least moving to the point that it will eject emties I start dropping a single lb at a time until I can get it to reliably lock back on an empty mag and then stop there. Usually takes fewer than 10 rounds to get things right.

Less radius on the FPS generally = a few less lbs needed in recoil spring weight.

More weight on the hammer spring generally = a slight reduction in recoil spring weight needed.

How your gun is sprung will depend on the loads YOU are shooting and how you have everything else set up (concerning your FPS and hammer spring weight) but here is an example with my 460 and textbook standard hardball rounds (230 grain FMJRN over 5 grains of Bullseye powder):

With a 'standard' 1911 23lb hammer springs weight, a heavily radiused FPS, and 18lb recoil spring - That gun is a single shot firearm and the slide does not move at all when firing. Zero movement.

If I drop to 16lbs I can get a tiny bit of movement but not enough to eject the spent brass.

14lbs will eject the spent brass but not cycle properly or lock back on an empty mag.

12lbs is perfect. Ejects spent brass, cycles properly and barely locks open reliably on empty mags. Reliability will increase as the spring gets used and settles in.

If I then take that gun and swap to a flat bottom firing pin stop (from the heavily radiused one that was in it) - I got to lose a few more lbs off of the recoil spring weight to get it to run at the same place (ejecting empties / cycling / locking back on empty mags).

Set up like that shooting that standard 45 acp power level textbook loading - You would swear you are shooting a heavy 9mm handgun. At 10lbs on the recoil spring - slide dip on chambering is pretty much nothing.