Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm 1911s - Dan Wesson or Springfield

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

10mm 1911s - Dan Wesson or Springfield

Looking for feedback from owners. I'm at the point where I'm buying guns that I don't need with justifications that will probably never manifest. So, obviously, it's time to get a 10mm 1911. I have a lot of experience with .45 1911s, but zero experience with 10mm in any platform.

Since this will mainly be a range toy, and perhaps a hog gun if I ever get around to actually that, which is your preference? I'm close to purchasing my first Dan Wesson, in 9mm, and I've read nothing but good feedback about them. I also like the looks of the Springfield RO Elite and TRP and the ability to mount a light, but my experience with SA has been mixed - the standout being a regular TRP about 10 years ago.

Thoughts? What is the 10mm like compared to .45 out of a 1911?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Looking for feedback from owners. I'm at the point where I'm buying guns that I don't need with justifications that will probably never manifest. So, obviously, it's time to get a 10mm 1911. I have a lot of experience with .45 1911s, but zero experience with 10mm in any platform.

Since this will mainly be a range toy, and perhaps a hog gun if I ever get around to actually that, which is your preference? I'm close to purchasing my first Dan Wesson, in 9mm, and I've read nothing but good feedback about them. I also like the looks of the Springfield RO Elite and TRP and the ability to mount a light, but my experience with SA has been mixed - the standout being a regular TRP about 10 years ago.

Thoughts? What is the 10mm like compared to .45 out of a 1911?
    Well you're not gonna go wrong with either one to be fair. I'd tend towards the DW myself, having one already that's my all time favorite handgun, but a Springer would be just fine for the right deal.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score

10mm 1911s - Dan Wesson or Springfield

No experience with the 10MM in 1911 platform. But I have a Glock 20 and G40 that I built from Lonewolf parts, and you will not be upset about getting a 10MM of any kind. 10MM is the best MM.

If you don’t reload it can be VERY expensive to feed. Especially if you want legit full power 10MM loads. The boutique companies make legit 10MM rounds but they are costly. If you reload the sky’s the limit. Can make some seriously new-clear rounds. My plinking rounds are 180gr FMJ running at 1240FPS out of the G20 and 1370FPS out of the G40

Good luck. Let me know if you need any reloading info.

Recoil from the G20 is stout. When it goes off you know it. And it’s a hefty pistol. The G40 takes it quite a bit so I’m guessing that the heft of a steel framed 1911 with smooth the recoil out. But I still have to imagine with full power ammo the 10MM is gonna make 45ACP feel like a pussycat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iflyskyhigh; 08-14-20 at 13:41.
    The Constitution is a "Gun Free Zone" sign for conservatives

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Earlier on the 1911's struggled with 10mm. Even the TRP, but maybe they ave worked out the chink's in the armor. A 1911 in 9mm is heavenly and very reliable. You named two of my favorite 1911 builders so good luck.

If I were to buy a 10mm, it would probably be a Glock and I'm not a Glock guy. I love my 9mm and 45acp 1911's. If you buy one, best of luck and keep us posted.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have a DW Razorback in 10mm. Love it. The slide and barrel are both tightly fitted with no play. The only "issue" is the slide stop will interfere with the shipped magazines, but I already had a stack of different brand mags already so non-issue for me. I'll still get around to tuning the slide stop, just because.
    It definitely is a stiffer recoil than a 45. I also have a DW Guardian in 9mm and a DW CCO 45. Very happy with all.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My best friend bought the Ruger 1911 10mm and it must be the best made Ruger I’ve ever seen and the accuracy is outstanding! Based on his sample of ‘1’, I’d proclaim it a Best Buy!
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    I have a 10mm Delta Elite and Glock 20. I use 10mm for a hunting sidearm, so I only shoot 10mm that is loaded to normal 10mm levels. There is no question, in my experience, my all steel Delta Elite has noticeably more recoil than the Glock 20. The Glock is also lighter, easier to maintain and 2x the capacity. If you want a 1911 because 1911, then pick whichever you like. If you want a pistol to actually use, then I suggest going with the Glock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Happy1 View Post
    I have a 10mm Delta Elite and Glock 20. I use 10mm for a hunting sidearm, so I only shoot 10mm that is loaded to normal 10mm levels. There is no question, in my experience, my all steel Delta Elite has noticeably more recoil than the Glock 20. The Glock is also lighter, easier to maintain and 2x the capacity. If you want a 1911 because 1911, then pick whichever you like. If you want a pistol to actually use, then I suggest going with the Glock.
    the glock 20 has less recoil than a steel Delta Elite?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    the glock 20 has less recoil than a steel Delta Elite?
    Yes. While I wouldn’t have believed it if i hadn’t taken them to the range side by side, the Glock 20 has noticeably less recoil than the Delta Elite. I bought the Delta Elite first and I liked it so much I basically doubled its cost with some gunsmith work. I still love it, but after being next to a massive hog, I figured I could use a higher capacity. After a side-by-side range session, the Glock 20 took over.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Some of you guys are buzzkills...you were supposed to provide justification for buying something other than a Glock. The only Glocks I buy anymore are in 9mm. I will say that all of the Glock 21s I've owned had less perceived recoil than .45 1911s, but for me, 1911s naturally return almost completely on target for follow up shots. I've come to appreciate that more, along with a better trigger.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast