Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10mm 1911s - Dan Wesson or Springfield

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Happy1 View Post
    DG, I assume you mean the Delta, do you have a suggestion for springs to try?
    Gunsprings.com

When I got into 460 Rowland I bought pretty much every weight spring they had available (hammer springs and recoil springs) along with a few different (smaller radius or no radius) firing pin stops.

Even buying multiples of some of the more common weights I knew I would be using there is no way I spent more than a few hundred bucks on springs. The best value is in the 'calibration packs' that include multiple different weights in the particular spring type.

Generally when springing my 460 for a new loading I will start with a recoil spring weight that I know is way too much. If the slide does not move at all after firing a round I will drop a few lbs in weight and try again. Once the slide is at least moving to the point that it will eject emties I start dropping a single lb at a time until I can get it to reliably lock back on an empty mag and then stop there. Usually takes fewer than 10 rounds to get things right.

Less radius on the FPS generally = a few less lbs needed in recoil spring weight.

More weight on the hammer spring generally = a slight reduction in recoil spring weight needed.

How your gun is sprung will depend on the loads YOU are shooting and how you have everything else set up (concerning your FPS and hammer spring weight) but here is an example with my 460 and textbook standard hardball rounds (230 grain FMJRN over 5 grains of Bullseye powder):

With a 'standard' 1911 23lb hammer springs weight, a heavily radiused FPS, and 18lb recoil spring - That gun is a single shot firearm and the slide does not move at all when firing. Zero movement.

If I drop to 16lbs I can get a tiny bit of movement but not enough to eject the spent brass.

14lbs will eject the spent brass but not cycle properly or lock back on an empty mag.

12lbs is perfect. Ejects spent brass, cycles properly and barely locks open reliably on empty mags. Reliability will increase as the spring gets used and settles in.

If I then take that gun and swap to a flat bottom firing pin stop (from the heavily radiused one that was in it) - I got to lose a few more lbs off of the recoil spring weight to get it to run at the same place (ejecting empties / cycling / locking back on empty mags).

Set up like that shooting that standard 45 acp power level textbook loading - You would swear you are shooting a heavy 9mm handgun. At 10lbs on the recoil spring - slide dip on chambering is pretty much nothing.

Feedback Score
    I love me some 10mm. In 1911 form, I have a Wilson Combat Hunter (that I need to get an optic on), a Jim Garthwaite Custom 10mm built on a delta elite), a Dan Wesson stainless railed commander. In Glock form I have a 20, a 29, and two timberwolf frames from Lone Wolf. I also have a Glock model 40 in a B&T Chassis with a brace and a 508T. I also have a 40 cal. 4013 Smith and a 40 cal Chief Special that have been reverted back to 10mm. I've also got a Ruger SP101. Finally I have a B&T APC Pro "pistol" in 10mm. I only shoot full house 10mm.

Here are my brief thoughts and if you have questions hit me up. I The Wilson Combat hunter (5.5 inch ported) is wicked accurate. So is the Jim Garthwaite (and for what they cost they damn well should be). The Dan Wesson is a great carry gun. It kicks quite a bit - certainly more than a Glock or Smith of similar size.

The Glocks are Glocks. Nothing special there. THe timberwolf frames are basically the size of a G17 grip. I cannot run a 20 or 21 with my little girl hands, but i can run a timberwolf hard. The compact one is g29 size frame but takes a G20 slide. That is pretty cool combo. The Glock 40 in the B&T chassis is really an excellent woods/truck/going to the mall with a laptop bag, type platform. 100 yard shots on steel silohuettes with 180 grain gold dots is just stupid. This platform is really something that I am shocked hasn't caught on. 110 grain penetrator at 1800fps - check. 220 grain hard cast at `1200FPS that penetrates 36 inches of gel - check. 180 grain gold dots at 1350 - check. All that with an optic, a light, and significantly smaller and lighter than an mp5K. i have one with a G17 too... also awesome but a story for a different time.

The Smith and Wessons are basically 80's style retro cool. The 4013 and Chiefs Special were intended to be 10s that were lighter weight duty guns. When the bureau bailed on 10mm, smith put 40 barrels in them and welded a spacer in the mags and sold them as 40s. I had the chambers bored out and resprung and the spacers removed. The end result is a G19 and G26 size guns that are da/sa. I am running these with full house 10mm and they are not bad at all. The chief special kicks less than the DW commander.

The APC 10 is awesome but not really what you are looking for. I will say that its the best PCC in 10mm available.

I have shot the Springfield TRPs. I gather that they have reinforced the frame. I don't get why they didn't do an optics version with the rail. The flat bottom frame with the optic is just strange to me. A factory 1911 with a heavy frame for 10mm precut for an optic and a rail would be pretty sweet. The reviews of the TRP are solid. SPringfield also has pretty good customer sat, if something goes wrong.

So... for me... the 1911s seem to be the most accurate when fired as a conventional pistol. They do kick more than a comparable Glock. The Glocks give you capacity, reliability, and toughness. With a brace, they can hang with the 1911s in terms of accuracy.

The smiths are just cool. I love that I can put a chiefs special in a pocket and go to 7/11 with a bunch of 165 grain 10mm. No need to get dressed up around a bigger gun.

But in short... do it. 10mm is awesome.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Happy1 View Post
    Yes. While I wouldn’t have believed it if i hadn’t taken them to the range side by side, the Glock 20 has noticeably less recoil than the Delta Elite. I bought the Delta Elite first and I liked it so much I basically doubled its cost with some gunsmith work. I still love it, but after being next to a massive hog, I figured I could use a higher capacity. After a side-by-side range session, the Glock 20 took over.
    yes. correct and indisputable.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Neither

In 10mm I’d be looking at guns from the Arkansas three. Strong consideration to CS if / when it won’t run would be my #1 governing factor.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    Neither

In 10mm I’d be looking at guns from the Arkansas three. Strong consideration to CS if / when it won’t run would be my #1 governing factor.
    Hey there, I have no idea what this means but if you are referring to 10mm guns, I'd like to know.

D
    Damien

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    Hey there, I have no idea what this means but if you are referring to 10mm guns, I'd like to know.

D
    I believe he's talking about Wilson Combat, Nighthawk and Guncrafter Industries(?). He's concerned about reliability/durability issues and how those high end makers deal with them.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Cause Glocks aren’t reliable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Constitution is a "Gun Free Zone" sign for conservatives

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyskyhigh View Post
    Cause Glocks aren’t reliable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For the most part they are and the Glock 10mm's seem to have a pretty good reputation. However, their practical and inherent accuracy won't touch what those three can provide. Most people wanting a 10mm seem to want it for dual use, where precision shots may factor in.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    ah, all is clear. Thanks. Have to say my Wilson Combat Hunter is outstanding.
    Damien

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    For the most part they are and the Glock 10mm's seem to have a pretty good reputation. However, their practical and inherent accuracy won't touch what those three can provide. Most people wanting a 10mm seem to want it for dual use, where precision shots may factor in.
    I know. I was being facetious. Glocks are some of the most reliable pistols out there.

AND capable of exceptional accuracy when massaged. I’d put it up against any 10MM out there. I put the Lonewolf long slide on the factory G20 frame and the factory slide on a Lonewolf frame. Both have complete trigger jobs and optimized springs. Even with the factory barrel the G20 upper is incredibly accurate. Probably not $4000 custom gun accurate, but close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Constitution is a "Gun Free Zone" sign for conservatives

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast