Thread: .308 Buffer Tube

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

.308 Buffer Tube

Hey guys. Doing some assembly for a colleagues customer on a .308 build. Not a big fan or have a huge amount of experience so here the question...

I’ve always seen .308 buffer tubes be “SR-25” or A5 length with a longer buffer and rifle or Sprinco green spring. This one (Aero upper and lower set) has a 6 pos std carbine length tube with a dinky short buffer and odd proprietary spring. To me, with limited .308 experience, it looks like it does have enough space for that big bcg to move properly in.

Could this be viable or does it need the longer tube?

Thanks in advance.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It sounds like it has a DPMS LR308 style buffer and spring. Are there any markings on the face of the buffer? I think the standard weight is 3.8oz, which could be a little light depending on the gas port. If its unreliable, I would buy an Armalite AR10 buffer kit, its cheaper than buying special short (LR-308 style) heavy buffers and uses the longer extension with rifle spring and H3 buffer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just the standard “dot”. I haven’t weighed it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    What Anunnaki said. You could also get the same basic set-up from Vltor with there RE-10/A5SR receiver extension and M4 carbine H3 buffer.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ok. Thanks. I guess I’m mainly wanting to know if the standard SR-25 length tube is better for cycling and felt recoil.

I just don’t want this tube to be the worst choice for him to provide the customer for both felt recoil and longevity in the gun.

It just strikes me as the buffer system equivalent to the pistol gas system. Lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've used the DPMS LR308 style short buffer system in the past and currently use the Vltor A5 extension with .308 rifle spring and H3 buffer. I didn't really notice a difference in felt recoil, maybe if I had compared them side by side I would. The only reason I went with the Armalite system is because it uses an AR carbine style buffer and I wanted to standardize all my AR buffers. That reason alone makes it an upgrade over the LR308 system, imo. It makes tuning the rifle easier if you're not using an adjustable gas block.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ok. I’ll go with it for him. It just seemed all wrong compared to my past experience but like I said I don’t do much AR-10. Lol. We are using a AGB.

Thanks y’all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're welcome. If you cant find any A5 extensions, let me know.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’m good. Thanks.