Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Knights SR15 mod 2...disappointed to be honest

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Bought a Knights SR15 mod 2...disappointed to be honest

So I scrimped and saved, sold some other rifles and bought my first Sr-15 from a KAC dealer. Well today was my first trip to the range with it and I have to say I’m pretty pissed and feel like I’ve been ripped off. The hype surrounding these things and how great they are really outpaces the actual product.

Let me elaborate:
    People rave about how their proprietary gas system length and gas port really reduce felt recoil and make them a soft shooting rifle. However I was very dissappointed with how it was noticeably more recoil then a Geissele Duty rifle I was shooting as well. I mean, even my buddies midlength BCM seemed to have the same amount of recoil/muzzle climb.

The trigger...this damn trigger is $300 by itself...wtf?! While the first stage is non-existent, the second is gritty and HEAVY. THE SSA...read not SSA-E, but SSA was noticeably smoother, lighter, and crisper. Hell even the BCM was smoother/seemed lighter. It's over 4.5lbs which is fine for a "combat trigger", but my issue is the grittiness and how you hit the 4.5lbs at once because the 1st stage does nothing.
    https://imgur.com/yIGRCYq
    https://imgur.com/JdjPYce

Lastly, the fit/finish really underwhelmed me and frankly was embarrassing when my buddies handled it. They too thought of knights as the pinnacle prior to today. The amount of slop (yes I know it doesn’t affect accuracy) was reminiscent of my old issued m4. I mean you pick it up and it sounds like a baby rattle.
    https://imgur.com/tEy2VYh
    I get it...some play is okay in a rifle. My issue is for $2600 why isn't it a more precise fit? Other rifles that cost significantly less are better machined and have no slop.

The safety...is like a mushy lump. It has no discernible “snap” and just kind of slimes from safe to fire. I’m not one to bitch about a mushy safety and a little slop...but
    on a $2600 rifle...are you kidding me?!?!
    https://imgur.com/h79RvA9
    Again, it requires constant pressure to move from point to point...just kind of slimes. Does it work and click into safe/fire...yes. But again, for something this expensive I'd expect a more refined safety.

No t-markings whatsover, the cheapest magpul stock made, the cheapest magpul grip made, play between upper and lower, and mushy safety...that is what I'm referring to when I say the fit/finish not being up to par.

The thing is a laser beam though. At 200m it was holding impressive groups with IMI 77gr...and that was with the iron sights. (Granted it was bagged)
    https://imgur.com/kF4ZSrW
    https://imgur.com/V2cSwRi

All in all while it’s easily the most accurate factory gun I’ve fired, I’m incredibly disappointed with it. Off the top of my head, the Geissele is a much softer shooting rifle, 1000x better trigger, and damn near equally accurate. Plus the fit and finish of components feels like the Knights SHOULD have. Rant over/

Is the oem buffer a standard H weight? Thinking an H2 might soften the impulse...

Is anyone aware of a lighter spring for the triggers in mod 2 guns? I found a 3.5# spring but it’s only for older trigger :/
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-15-20 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Careful, you'll anger the natives.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The rifle rattles?

I call BS.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    The rifle rattles?

I call BS.
    I know it doesn’t affect function, but yeah it certainly does. I just didn’t expect upper/lower slop on a $2600 rifle...

I guess it’s similar to if someone bought an exotic/super car and the body panels weren’t aligned, doesn’t affect function but it’s not a good look. Again, that’s just icing on the cake. My real gripe is with trigger and recoil impulse.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-14-20 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    So I scrimped and saved, sold some other rifles and bought my first Sr-15 from a KAC dealer. Well today was my first trip to the range with it and I have to say I’m pretty pissed and feel like I’ve been ripped off. The hype surrounding these things and how great they are really outpaces the actual product.
    When you addressed your concerns with the manufacturer before posting, per site rules, what was Knight's response?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Reliability, durability out of the box, tight quality control, that is what you are paying for, a bomb proof rifle.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    When you addressed your concerns with the manufacturer before posting, per site rules, what was Knight's response?
    So to be clear, I cannot post a review or first impressions of a rifle without clearing it with the manufacturer first? There is nothing wrong with the rifle, it does what it is supposed to do. I’m just giving my observations about fit/finish and components.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-14-20 at 18:01.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Why don't you make a video of the rattling, the safety fit and finish.... and get a consensus if it should be sent in for work. Any company can have a bad apple, its how they handle it. My trigger is as good as SSA quality.

I did put an A5 buffer system in mine, that will help it and any gun IMHO. H2 would improve.

And that Geissele gun is super high end as well. I'd like one too. Yea, if your going to trash the gun, you should give KAC the opportunity to improve anything your not happy with. And you totally trashed the gun.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-14-20 at 18:10.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    So to be clear, I cannot post a review or first impressions of a rifle without clearing it with the manufacturer first? There is nothing wrong with the rifle, it does what it is supposed to do. I’m just giving my observations about fit/finish and components.
    You can post an unflattering fact-based review, but your level of vitriol smacks of a troll post denigrating a known-good manufacturer of some esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Why don't you make a video of the rattling, the safety fit and finish.... and get a consensus if it should be sent in for work. Any company can have a bad apple, its how they handle it. My trigger is as good as SSA quality.

I did put an A5 buffer system in mine, that will help it and any gun IMHO. H2 would improve.

And that Geissele gun is super high end as well. I'd like one too. Yea, if your going to trash the gun, you should give KAC the opportunity to improve anything your not happy with. And you totally trashed the gun.

PB
    What he said.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    So if I posted glowing impressions raving about how great it is no problem, thats okay. But because my first impression is not favorable and I listed the things I didn’t like or felt did not live up to the hype...that’s not okay?

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast