Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Knights SR15 mod 2...disappointed to be honest

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't worry man, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I haven't dropped KAC money, but holding one at my LGS gave me the exact same impression you have. Same fit and finish as a Colt. Ambi, is kinda cool. The hand guard is nice. NOTHING about it though is worth 2.6k. It's simply not there. The FanBoi is strong on all internet forums. Honestly I suspect a whole lot of it; is users who just spent a TON of cash so they aren't gonna come back and say: "yea, shoots 556 just like anything else". No, they have to create some fantasy situation where the extra 1.6k was justified.

I recently got a 18" rifle gas barrel cause everyone raves how great that gas system is. Honestly.... Like yourself.... My BCM is better. I was kinda frustrated at the shooting bench passing back and forth between the guns. Flat out the BCM mid length is smoother.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    So I scrimped and saved, sold some other rifles and bought my first Sr-15 from a KAC dealer. Well today was my first trip to the range with it and I have to say IÂ’m pretty pissed and feel like IÂ’ve been ripped off. The hype surrounding these things and how great they are really outpaces the actual product.

Let me elaborate:
    People rave about how their proprietary gas system length and gas port really reduce felt recoil and make them a soft shooting rifle. However I was very dissappointed with how it was noticeably more recoil then a Geissele Duty rifle I was shooting as well. I mean, even my buddies midlength BCM seemed to have the same amount of recoil/muzzle climb.

The trigger...this damn trigger is $300 by itself...wtf?! While the first stage is non-existent, the second is gritty and HEAVY. THE SSA...read not SSA-E, but SSA was noticeably smoother, lighter, and crisper. Hell even the BCM was smoother/seemed lighter.

Lastly, the fit/finish really underwhelmed me and frankly was embarrassing when my buddies handled it. They too thought of knights as the pinnacle prior to today. The amount of slop (yes I know it doesnÂ’t affect accuracy) was reminiscent of my old issued m4. I mean you pick it up and it sounds like a baby rattle.

The safety...is like a mushy lump. It has no discernible “snap” and just kind of slimes from safe to fire. I’m not one to bitch about a mushy safety and a little slop...but on a $2600 rifle...are you kidding me?!?!

The thing is a laser beam though. At 200m it was holding impressive groups with IMI 77gr...and that was with the iron sights. (Granted it was bagged)

All in all while itÂ’s easily the most accurate factory gun IÂ’ve fired, IÂ’m incredibly disappointed with it. Off the top of my head, the Geissele is a much softer shooting rifle, 1000x better trigger, and damn near equally accurate. Plus the fit and finish of components feels like the Knights SHOULD have. Rant over/

Is the oem buffer a standard H weight? Thinking an H2 might soften the impulse...

Is anyone aware of a lighter spring for the triggers in mod 2 guns? I found a 3.5# spring but itÂ’s only for older trigger :/

While I do not have an SR15, I do how ever have an MWS, SR25 ACC and Scar so I can somewhat empathize with what you are feeling regarding your purchase. I have a couple questions though
    Is the Super Duty and BCM that you are comparing it configured the same as the SR15. More specifically were all 3 guns running the same buffer, spring and muzzle devices? If not, thats not really a fair assessment, i would suggest trying all three uppers on a single lower. if the SR15 was running a FH and the other two were running a break, that could account for your observation.

I am fairly certain that with a JP Silent capture spring, and a muzzle break, i could make a PSA bargin bin rifle feel as good as a factory SR15. The questions becomes how long it would stay together on a heavy firing schedules is anybodies guess.

For example, My ACC with FH(which weights the same as the scar) recoils a little less than My Scar 17 with Brake. If I were to mount a similar 3 port brake or comp to the ACC, that difference would be amplified more so.

Now with that being said, there is about a 1000 dollar premium associated with a Kac 556 build over a BCM/SD, so i get where you are coming from and this is how I look at Kac rifles and their price points and if they are worth it. Kac rifles are really good, combat oriented weapons systems have a significant amount of testing and engineering that goes into there weapons. While I do feel that, my SR25 is damn smooth, I don't considering it as the smoothest gun on the market because stuff like the JP308 exist, and thats true for 556 class weapons.

In regards to triggers, I don't really find a profound difference between my gieselle,LMT,KAC,LT triggers, some are better than others and are not going to make or break a shoot in 99 percent of scenarios.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Don't worry man, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I haven't dropped KAC money, but holding one at my LGS gave me the exact same impression you have. Same fit and finish as a Colt. Ambi, is kinda cool. The hand guard is nice. NOTHING about it though is worth 2.6k. It's simply not there. The FanBoi is strong on all internet forums. Honestly I suspect a whole lot of it; is users who just spent a TON of cash so they aren't gonna come back and say: "yea, shoots 556 just like anything else". No, they have to create some fantasy situation where the extra 1.6k was justified.

I recently got a 18" rifle gas barrel cause everyone raves how great that gas system is. Honestly.... Like yourself.... My BCM is better. I was kinda frustrated at the shooting bench passing back and forth between the guns. Flat out the BCM mid length is smoother.
    I think that there is some truth to this. While looking at Mil Pricing, I see around a 700 dollar difference with the BCM and around a 200 dollar difference with Geissele Super duty rifles.

I would compare the SR15 and SD as follows.
    They feel the same in the shoulder.
    the SD has a nicer trigger but is not Ambi.
    The KAC is not a bad trigger but is Ambi.
    The Bolt on the KAC is significantly stronger than the MilSpec bolt that is the SD
    The SD has a warcomp so should shoot a little flatter than the KAC FH

I think that the SD probably has a nice finish and shoots a little nicer, but the Kac would be more durable.

Personally i think its worth the premium, but having a nice BCM or Geissele is not going to get you killed in the streets.

Feedback Score
    This is a testament to the quality of the other top tier manufacturers of fighting rifles that we have to choose from now days; BCM, SOLGW, Geiselle, Centurion, DD.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Please post a video and pics of the “fit and finish” issues. Tnx

Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    So I scrimped and saved, sold some other rifles and bought my first Sr-15 from a KAC dealer. Well today was my first trip to the range with it and I have to say I’m pretty pissed and feel like I’ve been ripped off. The hype surrounding these things and how great they are really outpaces the actual product.

Let me elaborate:
    People rave about how their proprietary gas system length and gas port really reduce felt recoil and make them a soft shooting rifle. However I was very dissappointed with how it was noticeably more recoil then a Geissele Duty rifle I was shooting as well. I mean, even my buddies midlength BCM seemed to have the same amount of recoil/muzzle climb.

The trigger...this damn trigger is $300 by itself...wtf?! While the first stage is non-existent, the second is gritty and HEAVY. THE SSA...read not SSA-E, but SSA was noticeably smoother, lighter, and crisper. Hell even the BCM was smoother/seemed lighter.

Lastly, the fit/finish really underwhelmed me and frankly was embarrassing when my buddies handled it. They too thought of knights as the pinnacle prior to today. The amount of slop (yes I know it doesn’t affect accuracy) was reminiscent of my old issued m4. I mean you pick it up and it sounds like a baby rattle.

The safety...is like a mushy lump. It has no discernible “snap” and just kind of slimes from safe to fire. I’m not one to bitch about a mushy safety and a little slop...but on a $2600 rifle...are you kidding me?!?!

The thing is a laser beam though. At 200m it was holding impressive groups with IMI 77gr...and that was with the iron sights. (Granted it was bagged)

All in all while it’s easily the most accurate factory gun I’ve fired, I’m incredibly disappointed with it. Off the top of my head, the Geissele is a much softer shooting rifle, 1000x better trigger, and damn near equally accurate. Plus the fit and finish of components feels like the Knights SHOULD have. Rant over/

Is the oem buffer a standard H weight? Thinking an H2 might soften the impulse...

Is anyone aware of a lighter spring for the triggers in mod 2 guns? I found a 3.5# spring but it’s only for older trigger :/
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    I love finding people who bought top-tier fighting rifles thinking they’d shoot like a tuned 3-gun rifle. You can usually trade them a 14.5 or 16”middy with a brake and heavier buffer for it.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    This is a testament to the quality of the other top tier manufacturers of fighting rifles that we have to choose from now days; BCM, SOLGW, Geiselle, Centurion, DD.
    Very True, even PSA puts out a serviceable rifle these days and I really dont think one could really go wrong picking up a BCM and spare BCG vs say a Knights. The most important thing is to get out there and shoot and actually get competent with what ever you have.

I think the OP should give a JP rifle a try.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    +1 God willing it continues....

I have no “fit and finish” issues with my Knight’s. The trigger is great (Geissele SSA is probably slightly better than the KAC 2 stage). My issue is the significant gas to the face one gets when shooting suppressed, more than any of my other ARs. I am still on the fence about adding an A5 buffer to it. I already swapped the charging handle, buffer and spring. I really don’t like the idea of ditching the forward assist for a gas vent but that may be the next step.

The SR-15 Mod 2 is a nice light weight very accurate rifle. Runs great unsuppressed. 100% reliable. Maybe I should try an OSS can on it. KAC checked my upper but didn’t want to check the QDC 556 can for some reason. Said everything was OK

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    I love finding people who bought top-tier fighting rifles thinking they’d shoot like a tuned 3-gun rifle. You can usually trade them a 14.5 or 16”middy with a brake and heavier buffer for it.
    No, people raved about knights gas system and how its the smoothest ar they have. Realty is its the same recoil as a BCM middy.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 08-15-20 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Should've bought 4 PSAs with Holosangs and O-Lights.

Just as guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast