Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Knights SR15 mod 2...disappointed to be honest

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    No, people raved about knights gas system and how its the smoothest ar they have. Realty is its the same recoil as a BCM middy.
    Well, a BCM middy is not what I would consider over gassed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post

1- Well today was my first trip to the range with it and I have to say I’m pretty pissed and feel like I’ve been ripped off.

2- People rave about how their proprietary gas system length and gas port really reduce felt recoil and make them a soft shooting rifle. However I was very dissappointed with how it was noticeably more recoil then a Geissele Duty rifle I was shooting as well. I mean, even my buddies midlength BCM seemed to have the same amount of recoil/muzzle climb.

3- The trigger...this damn trigger is $300 by itself...wtf?! While the first stage is non-existent, the second is gritty and HEAVY.

4- Lastly, the fit/finish really underwhelmed me .....I mean you pick it up and it sounds like a baby rattle.

5- The safety...is like a mushy lump. It has no discernible “snap” and just kind of slimes from safe to fire. I’m not one to bitch about a mushy safety and a little slop...

6- No t-markings whatsover, the cheapest magpul stock made, the cheapest magpul grip made, play between upper and lower, and mushy safety...that is what I'm referring to when I say the fit/finish not being up to par.

7- The thing is a laser beam though. At 200m it was holding impressive groups with IMI 77gr...and that was with the iron sights. (Granted it was bagged)

8- All in all while it’s easily the most accurate factory gun I’ve fired, I’m incredibly disappointed with it.

1- Feeling upset after a purchase sucks, but it seems your expectations may have been unrealistic. Anything the KAC platforms do are in increments. not typically in leaps and bounds.

2- The gas system isn't there to make the weapon feel less recoil, the gas system is in play to increase reliability. That other people have the impression of less recoil is a matter of other weapons they have fired. While I might be wrong, I don't know of any time KAC has said "our guns recoil less because of our gas system". Next, when people say they have less felt recoil, you have to remember the complete system they are using might be different than what you are using. A MAMS at the end of the barrel will most likely feel very different than an A2 muzzle device when fired.

3- Regarding the trigger, I would ask how many rounds you have through it, and how many times you have dry fired it. Gritty is odd, but it sounds like the heaviness is what you are more upset about. I prefer a 2 stage trigger that isn't overly light. I modify the SSA trigger to make it heavier, and still wish it was just a touch heavier. I'm not looking for a super light trigger in a 2 stage, and anything less than 4 or so is really pushing it for my desires. From what you are describing, I'm hearing that the trigger is gritty, but otherwise clean and just heavier than you like. The grit is often an issue with how much its been used. You might want to let it clean itself up by watching some TV and dry firing it over and over to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Another thing to think about with the trigger is that you sound like you are used to a different trigger. If you are used to the Geissele SSA, think about sticking with that trigger. The cost of the KAC trigger is based on a variety of things, but the most important thing is that the end user prefers it. I strongly like my KAC triggers, you might not ever like them. Kick around the idea in your head of switching triggers and either trading with someone else, or selling yours outright.

Lastly on the trigger idea, if you dryfire it 100 times, and it still feels unsat based on a largely gritty feel, contact KAC and let them know it is unsat. If you are describing an actual problem, let them fix it.

4- Fit and finish complaints? It gets harder to deal with these complaints because people are going to say, "why didn't you notice it before you bought it"?!?! That isn't a realistic way of dealing with things in my mind. Most people don't open a rifle, unpack it, and go over every component in the store. If the wobble is substantial, contact KAC and let them view the weapon and go over it. Get them a list of issues (notice I didn't say complaints) which you find to be unsat.

5- I HATE sloppy crappy mushy safeties. I have some on a few of my weapons which I've switched out, and still have a few that just irk me. I would add that onto my list of issues when I contacted KAC. My KAC safety (s) are all fantastic.

6- I don't care about T marks, and honestly I'm not sure why you do. There is no spec that calls for T marks except for on certain platforms. There is not one which calls for it with KAC, so its hard to make that a complaint unless everyone else has KAC T marked items and you got screwed. Regarding the Magpul MOE stock, I think it is reprehensible to have that on any KAC platform. I like KAC, and the people there have always been awesome to me, but I find that particular stock to be insulting on a high end item. I am with you 100%. The SOPMOD stock should go on everything, but if it is that much cheaper, throw a higher model stock on the weapon. Please, I'm begging Knights to listen.... The MOE grip is fine, unlike the stock, most people won't feel an immediate need to swap it out.

7- Most people write complaints saying their guns sucks and isn't accurate, I'm glad you don't have that as an issue!!

8- What I'm hearing is an overall dislike for the felt recoil, a dislike for the wobble between receivers, a dislike for the stock, and a dislike for the trigger? Contact the board KAC rep and let him know. KAC is a solid company, and while they might not make everyone fall in love with them, they take care of problems.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    Is the Super Duty and BCM that you are comparing it configured the same as the SR15. More specifically were all 3 guns running the same buffer, spring and muzzle devices? If not, thats not really a fair assessment, i would suggest trying all three uppers on a single lower.
    Also curious on this. MDs and buffer systems can make a big difference. I only have one KAC upper now but never noticed any fit and finish issues with this one or the 16" I had for a few weeks. Never used one of their triggers.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    1- Feeling upset after a purchase sucks, but it seems your expectations may have been unrealistic. Anything the KAC platforms do are in increments. not typically in leaps and bounds........

......8- What I'm hearing is an overall dislike for the felt recoil, a dislike for the wobble between receivers, a dislike for the stock, and a dislike for the trigger? Contact the board KAC rep and let him know. KAC is a solid company, and while they might not make everyone fall in love with them, they take care of problems.
    Absolutely great advice.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    https://imgur.com/tEy2VYh

I wouldn't expect that kind of upper/lower receiver slop out of cheap AR15's. I have several and none have that much slop. That alone would leave me disappointed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    https://imgur.com/tEy2VYh

I wouldn't expect that kind of upper/lower receiver slop out of cheap AR15's. I have several and none have that much slop. That alone would leave me disappointed.
    Just to be clear, is that your rifle, the OP's rifle, and what rfile is it (factory KAC?)?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bought a Knights SR15 mod 2...disappointed to be honest

The link is from the original post. There are now multiple videos.

The upper/lower fit, as well as safety, would rate a negative review from me.

I’d need to feel the trigger myself, but based on the videos, I see no reason to not believe the OP.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-15-20 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Damn, those are surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    So watching the video got me to wondering about my SR-15 and just how much "slop" between the upper and lower could be induced by holding the upper in a vise and moving the lower from side to side in the manner shown in the OP's video. I then decided to try my other AR's and see how they did. So between my Knight's Armament Co SR-15, Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 Pro, Colt M4A1 SOCOM II, and craptastic CMMG mystery model the clamp in a vise and look at lower wobble test was visually inconclusive. They all looked like the video as far as I could tell, with the Daniel Defense being the snuggest by feel but that is subjective.

Not satisfied with this inconclusive result I decided to quantify the difference by putting lateral pressure on the lower of each rifle while mounted in the vice, and measuring the maximum resulting gap between upper and lower on one side with a set of feeler gauges. The following readings are from being able to just get the tip area of the feeler gauge started, so I am probably erring on the side of a larger clearance reading.

Here are my results:

Daniel Defense = .008"

Colt = .010"

Knights Armament Co. = .006"

CMMG = .004"

All samples of one data point for each brand so statistically insignificant. However, by the logic of the OP the best quality gun is the mystery model CMMG because the fit and finish is superior by a few thousandths of an inch on upper and lower receiver fit.

I'll make a standing offer to trade my CMMG strait across for the OP's SR-15 so he can get the nice tight upper and lower receiver fit he desires.

Feedback Score
    So in essence you have a gun that...

- You pull the trigger and it fires a bullet
    - Then it cycles a new cartridge into the chamber
    - Has some features to solve reliability problems that you weren't suffering from to begin with
    - And there is no pride in ownership

If there is no pride in ownership, they aren't worth the price. I don't know if you saw where someone referred to KAC rifles as bomb-proof. Maybe you should try to blow it up and see if it does any better than a lower priced AR. If you don't like your rifle enough to attribute magic properties too it, question the motives of those who don't like it, or openly wonder about the financial resources of someone who isn't happy with one, they probably aren't for you.

If it were me, I would try to get my money back on the rifle based on the short-comings that you have already pointed out and move in a more economical direction.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast