Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer load recommendations

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I presume you're referring to factory ammo.

I did a Google search for 22-250 deer ammo, and found that Federal loads the 60 grain Partition.

Winchester's offering with the 64 grain Power-Point should also be considered.

I'm willing to bet that an ammo manufacturer uses a 60+ grain TSX (or a cousin of it) also.

What's your barrel's twist rate? A 50 grain TSX, or 60+ grain traditional bullet may be too long to fully stabilize. Mine's twist is something ridiculous like 1:14.
    I've killed a shit ton of feral hogs- generally considered tougher than deer, with the Winchester Power Point load. It's my go to, bought a case of it probably 5-6 years ago.....
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21

Feedback Score
    Haven't shot a deer with either yet, but Hornady 55gr SP(not 55gr SP SX) and their 60gr SP get good reviews.

The SP SX is a traditional thin jacket varmint bullet, but the 55/60gr SP(while listed by Hornady as varmint bullets) are not. From everything I have read the 60gr SP is the bullet used in the Hornady American Whitetail .223 Rem 60gr load they sell through Academy and a co-worker has killed several deer with those the last few years.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-22-20 at 07:14.

Feedback Score
    Any standard soft point. Remington core lokt, Winchester power point, Federal power shock. If you want heavy for caliber, Winchester makes a 64gr power point. Stay away from varmint bullets for deer, they are designed to fragment and may not penetrate to damage enough of the vital organs for quick kills.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Lucky you can find 22-250 ammo on the shelves. Any hunting 55grain ammo the gun shoots well should do. If it shoots the Partition well, then that’s a solid bullet.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12