Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer load recommendations

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I presume you're referring to factory ammo.

I did a Google search for 22-250 deer ammo, and found that Federal loads the 60 grain Partition.

Winchester's offering with the 64 grain Power-Point should also be considered.

I'm willing to bet that an ammo manufacturer uses a 60+ grain TSX (or a cousin of it) also.

What's your barrel's twist rate? A 50 grain TSX, or 60+ grain traditional bullet may be too long to fully stabilize. Mine's twist is something ridiculous like 1:14.
    I've killed a shit ton of feral hogs- generally considered tougher than deer, with the Winchester Power Point load. It's my go to, bought a case of it probably 5-6 years ago.....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Haven't shot a deer with either yet, but Hornady 55gr SP(not 55gr SP SX) and their 60gr SP get good reviews.

The SP SX is a traditional thin jacket varmint bullet, but the 55/60gr SP(while listed by Hornady as varmint bullets) are not. From everything I have read the 60gr SP is the bullet used in the Hornady American Whitetail .223 Rem 60gr load they sell through Academy and a co-worker has killed several deer with those the last few years.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-22-20 at 06:14.

Feedback Score
    Any standard soft point. Remington core lokt, Winchester power point, Federal power shock. If you want heavy for caliber, Winchester makes a 64gr power point. Stay away from varmint bullets for deer, they are designed to fragment and may not penetrate to damage enough of the vital organs for quick kills.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Lucky you can find 22-250 ammo on the shelves. Any hunting 55grain ammo the gun shoots well should do. If it shoots the Partition well, then that’s a solid bullet.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    64gr 223 workes on my first buck but he was kinda small

150gr 308.cal has been the ticket for me. I dont reload I just found a factory load that works and stick with it

My buddy just took a 5x5 elk with the same load this week in Texas. 1st shit drop

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

To add:

22-250 not a very common load around these parts

I tend to stick with 223/556, 308. See plenty off 270,30-06, 300wm and 270. These calibers always seem to be in stock.

The more obscure ones are becoming harder to find which is why I won't buy anything chambered for them. The 6.5, 300prc 280akley all sound good on paper till you try to feed it then it becomes a challenge

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It’s a Varmint Rifle with a 1-14 twist
    Only the Barnes X bullet in the 50 to 55gr will stabilize !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeam98 View Post
    It’s a Varmint Rifle with a 1-14 twist
    Only the Barnes X bullet in the 50 to 55gr will stabilize !
    That load should work fine if you do your part. I been using 5.56 for white tails for a while now. Pretty much drops them if you hit them in both lungs.

Feedback Score
    Yes agree high neck area or double lung with the small TSX bullet
    Watched Biden speech today on gun control he is pandering to the far left but still will not be enough for him for mid term victory and his re-election in 2024. His agenda is not resonating with the American people. More people get killed by knives than guns in US.
    Last edited by RedTeam98; 04-13-22 at 22:41.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12