Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer load recommendations

Feedback Score

Deer load recommendations

Friend of mine can’t bow hunt but has a Remington 700 in 22-250. I know it’s a little light but it is a legal caliber where we will be hunting at and I’ve seen people take whitetail with it. Any recommendations on a good load to use on whitetails? Heaviest load I’ve found so far is 55 grain
    "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I presume you're referring to factory ammo.

I did a Google search for 22-250 deer ammo, and found that Federal loads the 60 grain Partition.

Winchester's offering with the 64 grain Power-Point should also be considered.

I'm willing to bet that an ammo manufacturer uses a 60+ grain TSX (or a cousin of it) also.

What's your barrel's twist rate? A 50 grain TSX, or 60+ grain traditional bullet may be too long to fully stabilize. Mine's twist is something ridiculous like 1:14.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-14-20 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    Not sure on his twist rate, the rifle is heavy and kind of looks almost like a bull barrel on it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    sounds like a VS or VSSF (similar to sendero) which will have a 1/14 twist & like the lighter bullets...that doesn't mean it won't like the ones mention which are all good. I do most of my doe taking with a swift but shoot benchrest / varmint bullets but only take neck shots.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    22-250 is a little light for deer, but can definitely be done. I would look at the Nosler 64 gr bonded ammo.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    22-250 is a little light for deer, but can definitely be done. I would look at the Nosler 64 gr bonded ammo.
    Yea if you reloaded the 64 Grn Bonded would be great. It could be a tough time even getting hunting ammo now. I would look at Barnes and see if they have any hunting bullets that would be good for Deer. I have a ton of the 64grn Bonded,if ya can find someone to load them for ya I'll send ya 50 of them !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Yea if you reloaded the 64 Grn Bonded would be great. It could be a tough time even getting hunting ammo now. I would look at Barnes and see if they have any hunting bullets that would be good for Deer. I have a ton of the 64grn Bonded,if ya can find someone to load them for ya I'll send ya 50 of them !
    Ya finding ammo right now is tough. I know you 'could' get the Nosler 64 gr as factory ammo, which wouldn't require reloading, but may not be the case right now. Federal Fusion 55 gr might also be a good choice if you can find it. I know Barnes has a 50gr TSX load that seems to be available, and Barnes makes good hunting bullets. May be worth a try with that.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Ya finding ammo right now is tough. I know you 'could' get the Nosler 64 gr as factory ammo, which wouldn't require reloading, but may not be the case right now. Federal Fusion 55 gr might also be a good choice if you can find it. I know Barnes has a 50gr TSX load that seems to be available, and Barnes makes good hunting bullets. May be worth a try with that.
    Well things aren't getting any better so ya better look day & night for ammo,LOL ! With 22-250 not being one of the main core group of ammo's ya mite be able to find some in the coming weeks hopefully ! Well, I hope you find something, the season is still a ways off depending on where ya live so you mite be OK. Anyways offer is still there if ya can find local buddy or place that will reload for ya.

Feedback Score
    Gun doesn’t start until the week of thanksgiving where we will be hunting, so definitely have time to try and find a good ammo combo for the gun

Feedback Score
    I had a friend many years ago (early 80’s) in Montana who hunted deer and antelope on the Eastern plains with his 22-250 with 60 grain handloads and killed every critter with one shot. Most shots were pass through and devastating to the chest cavity of the critters.

That gun had an old school Bushnell 4-12 scope and was dead on and easy to hit baseballs out to 350 yards.

Good hits matter. Deer aren’t hard to kill if you punch through both lungs at 3000+ FPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast