Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dillon tr1500

Feedback Score
    Finally got this working tonight on my 650. First attempt looked like this:

Station 1) Dillon Universal Decapper
    Station 4) RT1500
    Station 5) 21st century expander w/mandrel

The 21st expander die is short enough to sit under the RT1500, and there's even enough room to unscrew the top of the die and change mandrels with out unscrewing the trimmer. There is not enough room to mount the exhaust manifold without making significant modifications to it. For the trimmer I used a lock ring with a set screw on the bottom of the tool head.

Next attempt:

Station 1) Dillon Universal Decapper
    Station 3) RT1500
    Station 5) 21st century expander w/mandrel

In this situation, having the trimmer on station 3 means you need to use something different for the front tool head pin, or you need to cut the pin down (which is what I did). Also, using a lock ring with a set screw, I had some interference with it and the press body under the tool head, so I switched to a Dillon lock ring. I had to cut a slight notch in the exhaust manifold for that modified pin.

In the end, I probably over thought this. Tomorrow I just need to make a trip to Home Depot so I can get the shop vac hooked up.

I've only trimmed about a dozen cases so far during the setup process, one at a time. The ease of trimming/sizing is amazing however.

Feedback Score
    This is my setup for processing 223 brass. I run a 1050 so it makes case prep pretty painless with the RT1500. I stopped wet tumbling to get the lube off my brass and to clean up the case mouths. It would destroy my neck tension and the slight flare provided by the Lyman M die. I now tumble with corn cob and it works well without the case mouth peening issues.

Warning, the audio gets pretty loud once I turn on the vacuum.

https://youtu.be/IKTgC96PoxA

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Nice. A 1050 (or 1100) is in my future at some point. I'll still keep the 650 around, either for brass prep or pistol (or both). One day...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I stopped wet tumbling to get the lube off my brass and to clean up the case mouths. It would destroy my neck tension and the slight flare provided by the Lyman M die. I now tumble with corn cob and it works well without the case mouth peening issues.
    I've always dry/vibratory tumbled my lube off. Wet tumbling is too much trouble to do twice. There was a pissing contest on accurate shooter over the mouth peening years back.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've always dry/vibratory tumbled my lube off. Wet tumbling is too much trouble to do twice. There was a pissing contest on accurate shooter over the mouth peening years back.
    Good timing.... I just finished sizing/depriming several hundred .308 cases and I can agree, wet tumbling that amount can be a real PITA. Man, those cases sure are shiny.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    This is my setup for processing 223 brass. I run a 1050 so it makes case prep pretty painless with the RT1500. I stopped wet tumbling to get the lube off my brass and to clean up the case mouths. It would destroy my neck tension and the slight flare provided by the Lyman M die. I now tumble with corn cob and it works well without the case mouth peening issues.

Warning, the audio gets pretty loud once I turn on the vacuum.

https://youtu.be/IKTgC96PoxA

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Very nice set up. Do you pay attention to measuring shoulder bump or not so much? With plinking ammo, maybe it’s not as critical. Thanks for the video. I may look into a set up like yours at some point.

Feedback Score
    I have 3 of the 1200 trimmers I've been using over the 20 years or so. I've used lock rings on the top and bottom of the tool heads to lock the cutting die in the tool head so it will not spin when its turned on. I've even drilled and tapped the tool head so I could use brass Allens set screws to hold the die from moving when I made my own trimmer set up for 6.8 spc before Dillon started making them. Any more I just used a couple of drops of green Loctite on lock rings and die to hold them in place. Also found it was easier to use a correct length brass case to set the trim height with.
    Last edited by oddballmkg; 09-19-20 at 23:53.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123