Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dillon tr1500

Feedback Score

Dillon tr1500

Anybody here have it and use it? I trimmed 500 cases of 556 today on a RCbs trim pro, it was brutal. I had forgotten how much I hate trimming brass and doing prep work. So anyways, is the tr1500 worth the cost?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Ask me in a week. Mine should get here SAT night.

My father is 30min away and has a Giraud, which I briefly considered (borrowing). However I'll be just trimming 223 blasting ammo on a Dillon 650, so a lot of thought went into tool head setup and workflow.

From what I've read, the TR1500 on a 650 workflow looks something like this:
    1) Tumble cases to clean
    2) Lube cases, toss in case feeder
    3) Station 1: Deprime
    4) Station 2: Empty
    5) Station 3: Trim/Full resize with the TR1500
    6) Station 4: Lyman M neck expander (I have some 55gr FMJ flat base bullets I need to load)
    7) Station 5: Empty

Case prep done. Tumble to remove lube and to debur the case necks.

Loading:
    1) Station 1: Deprime (in case there is media in the flash hole)
    2) Station 2: Prime and powder drop
    3) Station 3: Powder check
    4) Station 4: Bullet seating
    5) Station 5: Crimp (if necessary)

At least that's how I think it will work in my mind. I've loaded a bunch of 9mm and 357mag with the Dillon 650, but very little 223/556. The brass I'm using are once fired PMC Bronze from my own stash.

I use this to 'catch' the brass when I can on the range:
    https://3bucc.com/3bucc-store/ols/products/357

From my readings/research, the difference between the TR1500 and the Giraud is this:
    1) The Giraud doesn't resize, but it does chamfer.
    2) The TR1500 does a full length resize, but doesn't chamfer.

More info here:
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...500-vs-giraud/

So for blasting ammo, I've went with the TR1500. If I start to load 308 for precision, I (personally) would look at the Giraud.

Feedback Score
    You'll also need to swage your crimped brass, either separately or
    https://uniquetek.com/product/T1568-6
    If its just "blasting ammo" , And I use range brass after inspecting ,I don't sort just toss it all in the case feeder after lubing.

As it is an aftermarket part technically it voids dillons life time warranty if something on the press breaks.

In thousand of rounds of case prep, I (sample of 1) never had an issue,

If you're 100 percent sure you didn't pick up that odd/miss during case inspection it's not necessary,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
    Ask me in a week. Mine should get here SAT night.

My father is 30min away and has a Giraud, which I briefly considered (borrowing). However I'll be just trimming 223 blasting ammo on a Dillon 650, so a lot of thought went into tool head setup and workflow.

From what I've read, the TR1500 on a 650 workflow looks something like this:
    1) Tumble cases to clean
    2) Lube cases, toss in case feeder
    3) Station 1: Deprime
    4) Station 2: Empty
    5) Station 3: Trim/Full resize with the TR1500
    6) Station 4: Lyman M neck expander (I have some 55gr FMJ flat base bullets I need to load)
    7) Station 5: Empty

Case prep done. Tumble to remove lube and to debur the case necks.

Loading:
    1) Station 1: Deprime (in case there is media in the flash hole)
    2) Station 2: Prime and powder drop
    3) Station 3: Powder check
    4) Station 4: Bullet seating
    5) Station 5: Crimp (if necessary)

At least that's how I think it will work in my mind. I've loaded a bunch of 9mm and 357mag with the Dillon 650, but very little 223/556. The brass I'm using are once fired PMC Bronze from my own stash.

I use this to 'catch' the brass when I can on the range:
    https://3bucc.com/3bucc-store/ols/products/357

From my readings/research, the difference between the TR1500 and the Giraud is this:
    1) The Giraud doesn't resize, but it does chamfer.
    2) The TR1500 does a full length resize, but doesn't chamfer.

More info here:
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...500-vs-giraud/

So for blasting ammo, I've went with the TR1500. If I start to load 308 for precision, I (personally) would look at the Giraud.
    I forgot it fl resizes. But that’s how I thought it would be setup. I have done a lot of 556 on my 650, and it works great after you get the rhythm and flow going.

I tend to tip cases over coming from the feed tube to station 1, and to get cases hung up in drop tube arm sometimes, the part that swings the cases over before they’re dropped to the rail that takes it to station 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Tagged for interest. I started reloading .308 this year on a rock chucker......labor intensive is an understatement. I have a Dillon 550 for pistol but may end up using it for rifle as well. Or maybe just get a 650 or 750 for rifle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Tagged for interest. I started reloading .308 this year on a rock chucker.
    I no longer trim 308 or 300WM brass. If you're not stretching the piss out of it with an expander ball, you can get away with not trimming. A bit of lifesaving advise I got from Accurateshooter.com crazies.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I no longer trim 308 or 300WM brass. If you're not stretching the piss out of it with an expander ball, you can get away with not trimming. A bit of lifesaving advise I got from Accurateshooter.com crazies.
    Dang good to know. That's for that on the 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Dang good to know. That's for that on the 308.
    For me 308 brass primer pockets are toast before the brass is too long. Some pieces will get a little over spec, but the leade in most of our guns is plenty enough that a slightly long piece of brass doesn't jam into the rifling transition.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    You'll also need to swage your crimped brass, either separately or
    https://uniquetek.com/product/T1568-6
    If its just "blasting ammo" , And I use range brass after inspecting ,I don't sort just toss it all in the case feeder after lubing.

As it is an aftermarket part technically it voids dillons life time warranty if something on the press breaks.

In thousand of rounds of case prep, I (sample of 1) never had an issue,

If you're 100 percent sure you didn't pick up that odd/miss during case inspection it's not necessary,
    Yeah, good point. When the online ammo ban hit in CA, I picked up a bunch of PMC Bronze with the intent of turning it into reloads. I do have some 5.56 that needs to be swaged (about 400 pieces or so), but I've got around 300 pieces of PMC I can start working on first.

Parts arrived today. With the trimmer mounted in Station 3, stations 2 and 4 are unusable for the most part, but I already knew this. After dinner I'm going to see if I can get it dialed in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yes, I took the expander ball out of my sizing die. I’ll see what happens when I size brass next time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast