Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel and United Arab Emirates Peace Treaty

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Israel and United Arab Emirates Peace Treaty

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53781360

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Speaking to CBS News, Mr Kushner said the deal, unexpectedly announced on Thursday, would make the region safer.

It marks only the third Israeli-Arab peace treaty in the Middle East, and the first involving a Gulf state.

The international community has welcomed the deal, but Palestinians, Iran and Turkey have denounced it.

Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are expected the sign the deal in three weeks' time, normalising relations between the two countries, including opening embassies in each other's territory.
    Thoughts?

Only way Israel would let them have a working nuclear power plant?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it is a good deal. It pissed Turkey off so that is good enough for me.

You can bet your ass the potential for peace in the ME will dwindle if the Dems take over.

President Trump just seems to keep on surprising folks.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    President Trump just seems to keep on surprising folks.
    First, a face to face deal with Kim Jong Un, now this? Legendary, and yet completely handwaived away by morons.

Feedback Score
    The UAE has long cared more about business than it has about being pragmatic about Islamic conquest or Pan-Arab nationalism. As long as the current government remains in place, it'll stay that way.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    The UAE has long cared more about business than it has about being pragmatic about Islamic conquest or Pan-Arab nationalism. As long as the current government remains in place, it'll stay that way.
    This. They certainly seem to be far more forward thinking than other nations around the Gulf region by realizing oil is finite and they won't last forever off it. Not only realizing it, but making the necessary adjustments now to sustain themselves for the day when oil is not needed as much.

I'll give props where props are due to both the Trump Admin and the two belligerents in this situation. They have a long, long, long way to go before peace is finally achieved, but little steps like this mean a lot in the big picture.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    lol, imagine that:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...ace-deal-trump

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Thursday praised the Israel-United Arab Emirates peace deal announced by President Trump, but credited efforts of the Obama-Biden administration for the “historic step.”

Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed released a joint statement Thursday after Israel and the UAE agreed to normalize relations.

Biden, though, said that “the coming together of Israel and Arab states builds on the efforts of multiple administrations to foster a broader Arab-Israeli opening, including the efforts of the Obama-Biden administration to build on the Arab Peace Initiative.”

“I personally spent time with leaders of both Israel and the UAE during our administration building the case for cooperation and broader engagement and the benefits it could deliver to both nations, and I am gratified by today’s announcement,” Biden said in a statement Thursday. “It is a timely reminder that enmities and differences — even long standing ones — are not set in stone, and of the role American diplomacy can play.”
    Funny, I didn't see Obama or Biden's name in the press release about the deal. But I will invoke a quote used from 2009-2017 that applies to the remarks of one Joe Biden.

"You didn't build that."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    lol, imagine that:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...ace-deal-trump

Funny, I didn't see Obama or Biden's name in the press release about the deal. But I will invoke a quote used from 2009-2017 that applies to the remarks of one Joe Biden.

"You didn't build that."
    Bidens memory really is going...next he will take credit for the Berlin Wall collapse...his numerous lies are the truth to him..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    This. They certainly seem to be far more forward thinking than other nations around the Gulf region by realizing oil is finite and they won't last forever off it. Not only realizing it, but making the necessary adjustments now to sustain themselves for the day when oil is not needed as much.

I'll give props where props are due to both the Trump Admin and the two belligerents in this situation. They have a long, long, long way to go before peace is finally achieved, but little steps like this mean a lot in the big picture.
    They are a step above their Saudi neighbors in that most Islamic laws are not enforced on non-Muslim visitors: They serve alcohol at hotels, and non-Muslim women can go without headscarves and dress in Western clothes (though the locals apparently hate it, and the police WILL get involved if a woman is showing too much skin). That said, like all the surrounding states, they are still a human and civil rights mess; women are still not much more than property there, slavery is prevalent, and there are almost no rights to speak of. They're just smart enough not to screw with foreign visitors lest they kill their tourist industry.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    They are a step above their Saudi neighbors in that most Islamic laws are not enforced on non-Muslim visitors: They serve alcohol at hotels, and non-Muslim women can go without headscarves and dress in Western clothes (though the locals apparently hate it, and the police WILL get involved if a woman is showing too much skin). That said, like all the surrounding states, they are still a human and civil rights mess; women are still not much more than property there, slavery is prevalent, and there are almost no rights to speak of. They're just smart enough not to screw with foreign visitors lest they kill their tourist industry.
    I'd tend to think they will realize they need to move in the right direction so to speak. Provided, it's an absolute monarchy over there, so change might not come as fast as necessary. Such things will take time so long as the Shari'a is part of the judicial code.

Things have to move somewhat slowly in that part of the world. Too fast and you get Iran 1979.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nobel Peace Prize worthy, or after Obama does that even mean anything anymore?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast