Thread: Steyr scout magazines

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)

Steyr scout magazines

I’m looking for 10 round .308 mags for the steyr Scout. Anyone have any ideas or any for sale? I can’t find any anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Yeah, they seem to come in and out of production. I had a 10 round kit about 15 years ago and it was a PITA finding them then. But then when they come in, they are everywhere.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    That would be it but out of stock. I managed to order some 6.5 Creedmore mags. I’ll see if they fit, they should. I’ll report back.

Feedback Score
    You also need the mag well kit for 10 round magazines. In what I think is a bone head move, the 10 and 5 round mags are not simply interchangeable in the same mag well. The mag well needs to be changed to use the 10 round magazine. So the rifle is either exclusively a 5 round mag gun or a 10 round mag gun without disassembly and swapping the mag well kit

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)

Steyr scout magazines

Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    You also need the mag well kit for 10 round magazines. In what I think is a bone head move, the 10 and 5 round mags are not simply interchangeable in the same mag well. The mag well needs to be changed to use the 10 round magazine. So the rifle is either exclusively a 5 round mag gun or a 10 round mag gun without disassembly and swapping the mag well kit
    I heartily agree. The things I’d change on the rifle:

1. Sling attachments to QD instead of the propriety ones that aren’t made any more

2. Thread on the end of the barrel to 1/2x28 instead of whatever European thread they use

3. Change the top rail to Picatinny instead of Weaver

4. Redesign the mag well to take both mags, like the spot in the stock does. Or redesign the magazines.

5. Tweak the cover to the pistol grip storage somehow so it’s not so damn fickle.

Other than that, I love this gun and have for decades since it came out. I just wish someone would make a better variable power scout scope with illumination. Like the 1-5 VX-R Leupold stopped making but that was EER instead of IER.

Ah well...

And I did get mags and an adapter.

Last edited by just a scout; 09-07-20 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    I heartily agree. The things I’d change on the rifle:

1. Sling attachments to QD instead of the propriety ones that aren’t made any more

2. Thread on the end of the barrel to 1/2x28 instead of whatever European thread they use

3. Change the top rail to Picatinny instead of Weaver

4. Redesign the mag well to take both mags, like the spot in the stock does. Or redesign the magazines.

5. Tweak the cover to the pistol grip storage somehow so it’s not so damn fickle.

Other than that, I love this gun and have for decades since it came out. I just wish someone would make a better variable power scout scope with illumination. Like the 1-5 VX-R Leupold stopped making but that was EER instead of IER.

Ah well...

And I did get mags and an adapter.

These are the reasons I cannot get myself to purchase one. When I told the Steyr people at the 2019 NRA Convention my complaints, they just looked at me funny. I won’t buy a Ruger because I know their bolt action is not in the same league as Steyr’s or Sako’s or even my Tikka’s

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I would definitely shorten the barrel to 17 inches and distribute the metal elsewhere to thicken it so it could take proper threads and be a little more heat resistant.

Absolutely modernize the rail spec to picatinny.

The above two things could probably be done at zero or near zero cost. I would stop there.

But...

If we are changing the stock, I would ditch the pistol grip hatch completely and just increase the volume available in the buttstock .

Swap to qd sockets

I would also like to see the front bipod be a removable unit so that when removed the front area is still well-integrated into the whole.

Or redesign stock so there is a just two mag pul style legs that are recessed into the sides and removable.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I would definitely shorten the barrel to 17 inches and distribute the metal elsewhere to thicken it so it could take proper threads and be a little more heat resistant.

Absolutely modernize the rail spec to picatinny.

The above two things could probably be done at zero or near zero cost. I would stop there.

But...

If we are changing the stock, I would ditch the pistol grip hatch completely and just increase the volume available in the buttstock .

Swap to qd sockets

I would also like to see the front bipod be a removable unit so that when removed the front area is still well-integrated into the whole.

Or redesign stock so there is a just two mag pul style legs that are recessed into the sides and removable.
    Make it a 16” barrel then. Recessed MagPul style legs is interesting. I do like the pistol grip, just the cover is a PITA to access.

Feedback Score
    I still miss my Steyr Scout.

Changes I would like to see:

1.) Optional carbon wrapped barrel in 17” or 19”, muzzle threaded to 5/8X24. Increase stiffness without weight penalty.

2.) Top rail in picatinny.

3.) QD cups for the sling.

4.) 10 round magazines that use the standard magazine well. They won’t be able to store in the stock but a back up 5 rounder isn’t the end of the world.

5.) Standard recoil absorbing butt pad.

6.) Add .338 Federal to the available cartridges because it offers good performance out of a short barrel and a useful step up in power over a .308 without beating the crap out of the user.