Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NX8 vs Razor III for AR10

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

NX8 vs Razor III for AR10

So I have an M&P10 currently wearing a Trijicon RS27 Accupower 1-8x24. While I like the Accupower, I have two major gripes:
    1- illumination sucks
    2- very very heavy, especially with my choice of mount

So with that said, I'm considering selling it and getting one of the optics mentioned in the title. I know that the NX8 is very light and handy, especially with a 30mm mount, but it seems like the eye box is considered to be too small for .308 use. Were I to get this, I would probably get a LaRue mount.

I'm also considering the Razor Gen III. It's a bit bigger and heavier, but seems like it would not suffer from any eye box issues. If I get this, I guess I would re-use my current mount, or get a Bobro single lever 34mm mount. QD is mandatory for this rifle.

Both have reticles that I'm okay with, though I do like the NX8 one better due to the longer and bolder "T" lines. Both seem to have great illumination.

Thoughts on these two for my application? Again, my goal is something that is noticeably lighter, and has daylight visible illumination for close range shooting. Without both of these improvements, it's not worth it for me to change the optic at all.
    For the record, this is a general purpose, mid-range thumper.
    Thanks
    Last edited by masakari; 08-15-20 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have two NX8s and it's great on 5.56 AR-15s, but I'm not sure I would like it on a AR-10. As it is a bit less forgiving that the Razor II/III lineup.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post

So I have an M&P10 currently wearing a Trijicon RS27 Accupower 1-8x24. While I like the Accupower, I have two major gripes:
    1- illumination sucks
    2- very very heavy, especially with my choice of mount

So with that said, I'm considering selling it and getting one of the optics mentioned in the title. I know that the NX8 is very light and handy, especially with a 30mm mount, but it seems like the eye box is considered to be too small for .308 use. Were I to get this, I would probably get a LaRue mount.

I'm also considering the Razor Gen III. It's a bit bigger and heavier, but seems like it would not suffer from any eye box issues. If I get this, I guess I would re-use my current mount, or get a Bobro single lever 34mm mount. QD is mandatory for this rifle.

Both have reticles that I'm okay with, though I do like the NX8 one better due to the longer and bolder "T" lines. Both seem to have great illumination.

Thoughts on these two for my application? Again, my goal is something that is noticeably lighter, and has daylight visible illumination for close range shooting. Without both of these improvements, it's not worth it for me to change the optic at all.
    For the record, this is a general purpose, mid-range thumper.
    Thanks
    With the NX8 vs Gen III you are basically trading performance at 1x for less size and weight. The Razor series in general has the closest to RDS performance out of the two with scope body at the edges just disappearing, wide FOV and forgiving eye box. The NX8 is more like looking through a tube: lots of scope body visible around the edges, smaller FOV and eye placement needs to be a bit more precise but not as bad as people say.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-16-20 at 00:05.

Feedback Score
    I have an NX8 on my AR and love it. The reticle at 8x is too thick to drive with precision past 600y.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I believe they’ve come in price around the cost of a Razor or NX8, but have you considered the Elcan TR? You obviously trade some pros and cons, but it’s an option if it works for your eyes due to the lack of a diopter.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalE View Post
    I believe they’ve come in price around the cost of a Razor or NX8, but have you considered the Elcan TR? You obviously trade some pros and cons, but it’s an option if it works for your eyes due to the lack of a diopter.
    The glass quality of the Elcan is no where near the two he listed. Also ARMs mounts.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I briefly considered the Elcan. Very briefly.
    Right now, I'm pretty much decided on the Razor Gen III MOA. It seems to do everything that I want, and the BDC style hybrid reticle is really cool. Not as light as I wanted, but if I swap both my scope and mount out and get a LaRue LR204, I'll be saving a total of 9ish ounces, and that's pretty good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Something to consider is that Razor Gen 3 is incredibly hard to find right now. Common sources I turn to are saying things like: "29 people ahead of you, backordered", or "Wait time is 180 days minimum", etc. As a result, the tiny trickle of them that you see on places like GB (example), they are charging above the standard retail price of $1999.

If you want the scope now, I'd find something else. Me personally, I wouldn't choose the NX8 either, if you research around a bit, it's known to have some issues although you also see folks as in this thread that say they love theirs. Personally if you can live with less than 1-10, I'd be looking at a 1-6 or 1-8 with a good reticle, by any of the usual suspects.

ETA these would be two I'd check out for 1-8 with excellent glass: NF ATACR, or Kahles 18i.
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-18-20 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The glass quality of the Elcan is no where near the two he listed. Also ARMs mounts.
    The TR doesn’t use the ARMS mount. It’s still externally adjustable, but not the mount you get on the DR.

Feedback Score
    FYI...I purchased a Razor Gen III from SportOptics yesterday afternoon, and got it for $1739, shipped. It arrives this week. To get the discount of 13% I had to call in and ask for it.

FWIW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast