Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NX8 vs Razor III for AR10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep gotta do what's right for your rifle. I'm guess if your experiences end up like mine, you'll end up wishing for more magnification on anything above a 5.56 that you plan to shoot beyond 400-500y. Another one to consider--awesome glass and features if on a budget--this Vortex. Their MRAD reticle is excellent.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-vipe...x_reticle=1503

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I looked at those as well, I’m just not convinced on an optic made in the Philippines. Not yet anyway. For the money it’s a tremendous value, so I haven’t written it off yet. I just wish Leupold had something similar for about the same cost.

I’ve kind of broken it down like this:

Money no object:
    Steiner M7xi, S&B 5-25

$2000 to $2400:
    Leupold Mark 5, or Razor AMG

$1200 to $1900:
    Razor HD 5-20, Razor HD II 4.5-27

Budget:
    Vortex PST II 3-15.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 09-02-20 at 01:52.

Feedback Score
    There’s good deals to be had in the used market. 4-16x42 ATACR’s are regularly posted for sale under your $2k budget.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    My Razor GIII 1-10 from Sport Optics will be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it mounted! I also changed over to a LaRue LT204 to save weight, about 8 ounces total from the Accupower.
    Last edited by masakari; 09-11-20 at 08:34.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Here's my new setup. I really like it.

The good:
    --Noticeably lighter than my old setup. The Accupower was about 4 ounces heavier, and so was the Bobro mount. In total I've saved about 1/2 lb, which I can feel.
    --So much brighter... Actually useful during the day! Feels almost like an Aimpoint on 1X. The brightest setting on the Accupower was about as bright as 7 out of 11 on the Razor. Also locking brightness knob, nice.
    --I love the wind holds on the reticle, and pretty much everything about the reticle itself. The translucent center portion is a really cool innovation.
    I much prefer the BDC to the MOA that I had on the Accupower. No need to memorize (and forget) that anymore, back to BDCs like everything else that I have (ACOGs).

The bad:
    --On lower magnifications with the reticle off, the thick crosshairs on the outer edges, which are supposed to be used to "bracket" the target, don't come close enough in to the center reticle. I like how the NX8 is setup for this. It's also very difficult to read the subtentions on anything less than 6.
    --Not as clear or bright image as the Accupower. That had noticeably better optical clarity and eyebox. Most noticeable, however, is the light transmission. At about 7x, it starts to get quite dark, and on 10x it's like looking through sunglasses. So the Accupower is better in this regard for sure.
    Eye relief is similar, on the edge of being almost too much. If I was using a 5.56 receiver, I would need a super extended mount like the LaRue LT239 for sure.
    --Turret design was much better on the Accupower. Loved the simple and locking turrets, that could be rezeroed without tools.

But all in all, I'm happy with my purchase and the setup now. There's always a give and take, but the weight savings and brightness were definitely worth it.
    Last edited by masakari; 09-18-20 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    What height mount are you using? Looks great.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWill1776 View Post
    What height mount are you using? Looks great.
    It's a 1.5" mount. On other styles of optics, I can appreciate higher mounts, but on this I wouldn't want anything higher.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    It's a 1.5" mount. On other styles of optics, I can appreciate higher mounts, but on this I wouldn't want anything higher.
    For prioritizing prone shooting?

Feedback Score
    That's my assumption, he intends to be using it prone more as a DMR, etc.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    For prioritizing prone shooting?
    Yes, but also standing and really anything. With this optic, it's important to have a repeatable and stable head position due to the eyebox, and it definitely feels like anything higher would be worse overall, but especially prone.
    I like my compact ACOGs in high mounts, but this will stay at 1.5.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast