Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory FBI Professional or Wilson/Nighthawk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    In today's climate, it must be nice to be able to shoot 300 rounds and have 1000 more to burn.
    LOL. Sorry. That makes me sad. I bought 2000 rounds for the year prior to the pandemic. :-( I like your line about Glocks by the way.

Anyhow, I went back to the local indoor range and put another 200 rounds through my Springfield Pro. Only had a few failures to feed. One from a CMC Powermag loaded with Winchester PDX-1s (it was the first round of the 8 round mag.....and I slingshot the slide). I had another failure to feed from one of Springfield's 7 round mags (again, the first round of a loaded mag, slide was sling shot). Otherwise that was it. The Wilson ETMs had their followers and springs changed, and they all ran flawless (I had some spring/follower kits on hand). Without the shok-buff, the gun cycles slightly different but no better or worse than my nighthawk.

I'm waiting on a flat wire recoil spring kit next. I have one on my Nighthawk Talon II and love it. I think the cycling and recoil impulse is smoother with the flat wire recoil springs. I also have to dremel out a notch for my VZ grips with the ambi safety (I'm going to see if VZ can do it for me rather than I try it). Last, I think a 10-8 slide stop would be great. Otherwise, I need a free weekend to shoot an IDPA match with it ;-)

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Shot about 500 rounds yesterday through my Pro.

Love. This. Gun.

Started off going for some B8s at 25y. One was 7 rounds mag change and 7 rounds in 1 minute. The other was 10 rounds in one minute.

Based on my chats with Gaijin it looks like I began anticipating recoil with the low ones so I put the gun down. Dry fired and then loaded up five and shot the group high to the right (which if transposed over the 10 ring would’ve been perfect)

Then I transitioned to shooting out of a holster and mag changes. As noonesshowmonkey said “woof. That was ugly”.

Definitely takes a while getting used to single stack mags and moving muscle memory from where the Glock slide release is to the 1911. Did some other stuff like shooting on the move and target transitions. Haven’t had that fun with a handgun in a long time!

And it looks so beautiful on your hip. If someone told me a year ago I’d be dropping almost $2500 for a steel framed gun that only holds 8 rounds I would’ve laughed my socks off.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-20-20 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Awesome. Such a cool gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yeah, never say never Euro. It’s difficult for some of us opinionated types.
    : )
    You did well.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    10/10 I would like on in 9mm. And at dealer of $2600 I think that's pretty reasonable honestly.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    10/10 I would like on in 9mm. And at dealer of $2600 I think that's pretty reasonable honestly.
    9mm 1911?

Why

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    In today's climate, it must be nice to be able to shoot 300 rounds and have 1000 more to burn.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    9mm 1911?

Why
    Because his wrists and elbows are shot from years of shooting 230-gr hard ball, like Ken Hackathorn and Hilton Yam.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Not a judgement against you Euro, but those that ask why 9mm 1911 either have not shot one, still young and strong or stubborn (again, nothing against you personally). Let me break that down.

Have not shot one - if one never shot a 9mm through a 1911, what that person is missing is practically less than half of the recoil of a .45, flat recoil (it goes front to back and does not have the muzzle flip). One or two additional rounds, depending on what 9mm and .45 magazine they are using. Not much but just that much longer before you have to reload.

Still young - This is a personal story. I shot .45 in 1911s since I was 21 y.o. until I was in my late 40s. That's over 20 years of .45, averaging 5000 rounds a year, some more some less. That's over 100,000 rounds. My finger joints, wrist and elbow on my small frame body are feeling the cumulative effects. That's not counting some .38, .357, 9mm and a few boxes of punishing .44 mags. I didn't feel it in my 30s or late 30s. Shooting reloads of mostly full power 850 fps/230 gr and some reduced 800 fps rounds and never thought anything of it. Shooting in USPSA, IDPA, practice, training classes, etc. But when I got my mid 40s, I shot less 1911 and went to 9mm Glocks and Berettas more and more. Now I shoot 200 - 300 rounds of .45 a year. Your body will let you know when you reach 50 and touching off a magazine of .45 balls. It's not going to fly out of your hand but you'll know something of major power factor is happening.

Stubborn - Some people think it's unmanly to shoot a 9mm 1911, it's not what "Uncle Jeff" , as in Jeff Cooper, wants you to shoot. Yes they are out there plenty.

Once I tried somebody's 9mm 1911 for the first time, I thought I could wait for the gun to cycle, I could feel the slide chugging back and forth. It's not really slow but it just felt that way. The more I shot 9mm 1911 the more I like it.

There is a reason why Rob Leatham went to 9mm. Yes his game is to shoot papers for scores and not shoot meat. The guy shot more in a year than me in my lifetime. And he's a big guy, so it's not that he can't handle the recoil.

Long answer huh?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Because his wrists and elbows are shot from years of shooting 230-gr hard ball, like Ken Hackathorn and Hilton Yam.
    Oh yeah, them too. Hackathorn can't even bend his trigger finger all the way for years due to the pounding he took. He still occasionally shoot .45s but he shoots 9s a lot more.

I'm just a mere mortal compared to those two pistoleros.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast