Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Springfield Armory FBI Professional or Wilson/Nighthawk

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post

I also don't have any info for preventive maintenance for 9mm 1911s such as a schedule to change springs, or even spring weight for it. Does anyone have this info?
    Recoil spring according to Bill Wilson:

Most 1911 9mm caliber pistols will function properly with a recoil spring in the 11# – 13# range if a tight/firm grip and proper ammunition is used. Conventional music wire recoil springs should be replaced every 3,000 rounds, chrome silicone round wire springs every 20,000, rounds and chrome silicone flat wire springs every 40,000 rounds. Ideally you want to run the heaviest recoil spring that will function properly with the lightest ammunition you plan to shoot. To check for spring weight/ammunition compatibility, go to the range and load a single round in the chamber using a magazine proven to reliably lock the slide open on the last shot fired. Fire the shot weak hand only, and if you can do this with reliable slide lock operation 10 consecutive times your recoil spring is not too heavy for your ammunition. Ideally you want the heaviest recoil spring that will pass this simple test because, the heavier the spring, the more positive the feeding of cartridges from the magazine to chamber.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/faqs/

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Recoil spring according to Bill Wilson:

Most 1911 9mm caliber pistols will function properly with a recoil spring in the 11# – 13# range if a tight/firm grip and proper ammunition is used. Conventional music wire recoil springs should be replaced every 3,000 rounds, chrome silicone round wire springs every 20,000, rounds and chrome silicone flat wire springs every 40,000 rounds. Ideally you want to run the heaviest recoil spring that will function properly with the lightest ammunition you plan to shoot. To check for spring weight/ammunition compatibility, go to the range and load a single round in the chamber using a magazine proven to reliably lock the slide open on the last shot fired. Fire the shot weak hand only, and if you can do this with reliable slide lock operation 10 consecutive times your recoil spring is not too heavy for your ammunition. Ideally you want the heaviest recoil spring that will pass this simple test because, the heavier the spring, the more positive the feeding of cartridges from the magazine to chamber.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/faqs/
    Thank you! This is the info I need.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I install/run FBFPS (Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop) with a healthy chamfer in my 9’s and run 19# MS with 9# or 10# RS.
    A 2#+- trigger is easy and it changes the guns cycling a bit.
    While not necessary for a reliable, light trigger I like how the gun “feels” and have 40K rds+ on a couple guns.
    The FBFPS is easier on a lightly sprung 1911.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I install/run FBFPS (Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop) with a healthy chamfer in my 9’s and run 19# MS with 9# or 10# RS.
    A 2#+- trigger is easy and it changes the guns cycling a bit.
    While not necessary for a reliable, light trigger I like how the gun “feels” and have 40K rds+ on a couple guns.
    The FBFPS is easier on a lightly sprung 1911.
    I’ve used the flat FPS to slow the slide down on 38 supers and a 9x23. Are you just using it to get the chamfer higher than a typical rounded FPS?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Pretty much. To lessen the severe radius of most, standard Stops and allow 100% function with wimpy range loads with lighter springs.
    The limiting factor being enough “recoil” spring energy to reliably strip rounds from mags I use (10 rd Metalform).
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Lol my main go-to 1911 is a Kimber. It’s been effectively rebuilt a couple times.

I have a Delta Elite but it is very much a toy.

I debate getting a gucci 1911 or making my own. Interesting thread for sure. I remember being told by sooooomebody “lol it only holds 8 rounds though. And .45 is sooo slow”

Still I am getting older so I am getting a 9mm

I just like 1911 because you can effectively have one anywhere and one day, one of these days, Alice; I am living in a van down by the river.
    Whoooooo said that

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314