Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory FBI Professional or Wilson/Nighthawk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Everyone who makes guns cheaper than Dan Wesson use MIM. Even some of the less expensive Dan Wesson guns use MIM.

And, yes, durability (of small parts) and reliability will be improved by selecting a custom or custom-production 1911 over a less expensive, more mass produced 1911.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can de-MIM a 1911 but, better to buy right the first time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    there are some other advantages depending on who builds em. reliability jumps to the forefront of my mind.
    I think increased reliability is a myth created by the custom 1911 manufacturers. That's my personal opinion mind you, but I've yet to see one iota of actual evidence that they are in fact more reliable by any metric whatsoever.

It's also pretty well established that 1911s tend to be finicky until they loosen up some.

I think the kernel of truth in this matter is that a well made custom 1911 is going to be more reliable than a poorly done one. Kimber, for example, jumps to mind. Yes, they're very tight, but they wear unevenly, making them worse than a Colt in my estimation. But no, I do not believe that even a Nighthawk is inherently more reliable than a standard 1911 with the typical tolerances.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lol my main go-to 1911 is a Kimber. It’s been effectively rebuilt a couple times.

I have a Delta Elite but it is very much a toy.

I debate getting a gucci 1911 or making my own. Interesting thread for sure. I remember being told by sooooomebody “lol it only holds 8 rounds though. And .45 is sooo slow”

Still I am getting older so I am getting a 9mm

I just like 1911 because you can effectively have one anywhere and one day, one of these days, Alice; I am living in a van down by the river.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRecon21 View Post
    You can’t go wrong with a Pro. Pick which caliber you prefer and rock on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah. I mean, I know a Staccato will equal more rounds, but the Pro has just always been “that gun” for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have had the same Gen3 G19 in my nightstand for over a decade. During that time, I’ve own tons of more accurate and higher quality handguns. Nothing ever replaced it.

The Professional sits in there now.
    I’m already sold. However, knowing your post history and your past philosophies on fighting guns... duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Buck the system. 9mm

I’m leaning that way.

I like the fact that it’ll be more controllable/less recoil, I imagine just as accuarate as big brother, and will hold 10 rounds without having the mag extension that a .45 mag would have (thinking Chip McCormick mags).

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Everyone who makes guns cheaper than Dan Wesson use MIM. Even some of the less expensive Dan Wesson guns use MIM.

And, yes, durability (of small parts) and reliability will be improved by selecting a custom or custom-production 1911 over a less expensive, more mass produced 1911.
    To get this thread back on topic.

SA Pro gots mim
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    I just got a SA Pro Operator in 9mm. I only have about 500 rounds through it as of now. I love how it shoots and it's been reliable with ball and Gold Dot except for one of the six Chip McCormick magazines doesn't feed reliably. I got a WC Vicker's Duty mag to try, and it's replaced the faulty one. I'm still not going to carry it though until I get a thousand trouble free rounds through it. The pistol seems solid, but you've got to have dependable mags or it doesn't matter.

I've got a lot of time with .45 1911s, but I had never even shot a 9mm one until I got the pro. It sure is a different feeling. There is very little recoil as others have said, but the slide velocity seems to be much less as well. Have others experienced this?

I also don't have any info for preventive maintenance for 9mm 1911s such as a schedule to change springs, or even spring weight for it. Does anyone have this info?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Yes.

It's disconcerting to be able to count the slide serrations with your firing hand thumb as gun recoils initially. You get used t it however.
    : )
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    I've got a lot of time with .45 1911s, but I had never even shot a 9mm one until I got the pro. It sure is a different feeling. There is very little recoil as others have said, but the slide velocity seems to be much less as well. Have others experienced this?

I also don't have any info for preventive maintenance for 9mm 1911s such as a schedule to change springs, or even spring weight for it. Does anyone have this info?
    Yes on the slide velocity. Many top builders of 9mm 1911's do something to lighten the slide to address that issue and improve reliable cycling. This was done on my C&S 9mm and it's as reliable as my .45.

On PM, I've used these 2 as guides:
    * Bill Wilson 1911 PM: https://youtu.be/fW1pJvi5yIw
    * http://sightm1911.com/Care/1911_Maintain.htm

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    I just got a SA Pro Operator in 9mm. I only have about 500 rounds through it as of now. I love how it shoots and it's been reliable with ball and Gold Dot except for one of the six Chip McCormick magazines doesn't feed reliably. I got a WC Vicker's Duty mag to try, and it's replaced the faulty one. I'm still not going to carry it though until I get a thousand trouble free rounds through it. The pistol seems solid, but you've got to have dependable mags or it doesn't matter.

Oof I need this in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^Yes.

It's disconcerting to be able to count the slide serrations with your firing hand thumb as gun recoils initially. You get used t it however.
    : )
    They remind me of this blow back green gas Glock I had as a kid recoil wise. Almost comical.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast