Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory FBI Professional or Wilson/Nighthawk

Feedback Score
    I just picked up my Springfield Custom Professional model (45) and put 300 rounds through it last night. I’m surprised the gun comes with a shok-buff from Wilson installed on the guide rod. Compared to my Nighthawk Talon II bobtail, recoil is about the same and quite controllable. Just as if not more accurate than my Nighthawk. The bushing is unique in the sense that it is not completely smooth on the outside. There are small ridges on it where it fits into the slide, in addition to the standard notch that lines up inside the slide.

I’m going to put a full 1000 rounds through the gun to break it in before commenting much more. I had some cases where the first round would not feed into the chamber when releasing the slide stop. This was remedied by sling shotting the slide back. The problem occured with Wilson ETM mags, the supplied 7 round springfield mags, and Nighthawk’s 8 round mags. I think my ETM springs need to be changed out, so I will work on that today. I did not have the issue with Chip McCormick Power mags. Yes, I did take the gun apart before firing it for the first time and gave it a Slip 2000 EWL treatment. I can just tell the feed ramp and bushing need some “wear and tear” before being given a green light. My Nighthawk needed about 500 rounds before being 100% reliable.

by the way, when I registered my warranty on Springfield’s website, I emailed customer service about magazines. They like metalform and Chip McCormick. I have a sample railed power mag and a Vicker’s ETM mag on its way from Midway for testing. As I’ve learned in the past, there is no one superior magazine for 1911s. You have to pick the magazine that works best in your 1911 with FMJs and JHPs. There are too many variances amongst gun makers and mag makers to count.
    Last edited by MadAngler1; 09-19-20 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Wilson 1911s come with shok-buffs from the factory.

And their magazines need to be kept fully-loaded for 24 hours before their first use for best function (per Wilson) - in case you hadn't done that.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Wilson 1911s come with shok-buffs from the factory.

And their magazines need to be kept fully-loaded for 24 hours before their first use for best function (per Wilson) - in case you hadn't done that.
    I bought a Springfield Custom Shop Professional. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. It came with a Wilson shok-buff.

The Wilson ETM mags I have are old. I didn’t see anything that the Springfield 7 round mags need to stay loaded for 24 hrs prior to use. They all worked fine in my Nighthawk.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    In today's climate, it must be nice to be able to shoot 300 rounds and have 1000 more to burn.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    I bought a Springfield Custom Shop Professional. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. It came with a Wilson shok-buff.

The Wilson ETM mags I have are old. I didn’t see anything that the Springfield 7 round mags need to stay loaded for 24 hrs prior to use. They all worked fine in my Nighthawk.
    I'm very surprised, it came with a Wilson shok-buff???? Mine didn't and I thought those were pixy dust. This was a new in box gun? Take that thing out and see how it runs. That gun should not require a break-in IMHO. Mine didn't. Sumpin aint right.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-19-20 at 13:13.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I'm very surprised, it came with a Wilson shok-buff???? Mine didn't and I thought those were pixy dust. This was a new in box gun? Take that thing out and see how it runs. That gun should not require a break-in IMHO. Mine didn't. Sumpin aint right.

PB
    I was wondering the same thing when I read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It got my goat so bad I emailed SA to ask if I should be running a shok-buffer? I can't imagine it's true.

Feedback Score
    I bought it LNIB on gun broker. Got $600 off MSRP. Prior owner only put a few mags through it and decided he wanted something else. Maybe he put it on.

Feedback Score
    Here are some pics:

7E6A5ACB-6A99-4CBA-BE57-D3E76E140F89.jpg

87822E06-71B2-4F2F-A2D5-0304A0A4665E.jpg

Gun came with blue Wilson Shok Buff. I’ll remove it tonight.

Also, see the ridges or ripples on the outside of the bushing? May be hard to see. Must be a Springfield thing. None of my other 1911 bushings have that.

My grip screws are already loose. I’m going to change the grips for a set of black VZs I kept after I sold my Wilson a few years ago. I’ll add some Challis grip screw o-rings. Works like a charm.

FYI, gun was test fired May 2018. Has Dave Williams signature on the card.
    Last edited by MadAngler1; 09-19-20 at 20:46.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Pull the goofy shok buff out and your gun will run like a dream.

PB

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast