Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Bulgarian AK74

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It'll be fine without CL, even with the dreaded corrosive ammo!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't have any corrosive. Just the Barnaul I posted and I ordered a couple cases of Wolf. So, I'm good to go. Lucky to find that Barnaul at my LGS.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats on your new rifle. The AK-74 among other AK stuff has drastically gone up in price recently.
    Your rifle is built from a 1990 produced Bulgarian AK-74 and it looks like your rifle is built on a NDS receiver.

Im pretty sure the muzzle break is original to the rifle.

Feedback Score
    delete
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-20-20 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKFAN View Post
    and it looks like your rifle is built on a NDS receiver.
    Odds are that it is, but how are you telling by looking at the sides of the receiver? I see a circular discoloration around one of the axis pin holes. To me that might indicate a spot heat treatment which would not indicate a NDS receiver.

OP, Is the barrel chrome lined and does it have any markings? That's the easiest way to confirm that it's original or not. Regardless, check the headspace.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It is a NDS-2 receiver and it says 5.45x39 on receiver. So could it be an AR barrel if receiver says x39 ? SN has a circle 10 logo ish then KO. 30. 05xx. My Buddy who knows his shit about AK's said its a CL barrel and brake.

Bulgarian kit built on NDS receiver.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-20-20 at 11:11.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It should be an AK barrel for 5.45. There are AK barrels for 5.56 as well. A blank can be made into any caliber for any firearm. Century Arms has been known to use 5.56 AK barrels for 5.45 AKs back in the day because.....close enough.

You gotta go back maybe 10 years but you can Google about all the Polish and Bulgarian AK kits that Century Arms built using, I believe Bear Creek, 5.56 barrels. Lots of complaints about keyholing

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 08-20-20 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Odds are that it is, but how are you telling by looking at the sides of the receiver? I see a circular discoloration around one of the axis pin holes. To me that might indicate a spot heat treatment which would not indicate a NDS receiver.

OP, Is the barrel chrome lined and does it have any markings? That's the easiest way to confirm that it's original or not. Regardless, check the headspace.
    I was basing it on the dimple shape/size, spot welds and lack of the "Y" (reinforcement stamp where the sear would be drilled)

Most likely your rifle has the original barrel. The easiest way to tell is remove the gas tube (and hand-guard if needed) and look for journal size numbers stamped on the barrel such as 2,1,2.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My buddy just texted me to explain my questions to him:FYI

"the gun is an original Bulgarian matching kit with its original ak barrel in 5.45x39 not 5.56. the barrel is marked with all the proper numbers and stamping indicating this. if you pull the handguards off you can show them"

Feedback Score
    That's great. You have a fine rifle that will give you years of enjoyment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast