Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 22LR AR15 buying advice needed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah...if you watch the Bore Buddy video on the buffer weight page, there is quite a bit of bolt bounce with the plastic buffer.

Although I also run the Taccom buffer spring. It ran fine with the original, but I just wanted to get everything fresh. I plan to change to the Taccom stainless extractor as the only malf that I had during one stage was an FTE. It took me two tries to get it extracted. The hammer hits so hard that if it FTE's and gets hit a second and then a third time, that brass has some deformity.

This is an old Super X brass hit 4 times. (I used it to dry fire test the trigger). You can see how hard it hits...and it isn't even the green heavy springs -using the medium because due to tolerances, the green ones slightly rub the lower and won't work reliably unless I polish out the lower where it rubs. This also will bring the trigger weight down too. It is light enough as it is though.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Kind of a follow-up. I was having occasional doubles both when using a Bore Buddy bolt weight and after firing the first round from a loaded magazine without the weight. The hammer was obviously not being re-cocked and hammer follow was firing the next round. Gun is built on a RTB (CMMG) barrel and BCG and using Black Dog and RTB "CMMG pattern" magazines. Standard "mil-spec" trigger and hammer.

I also had repeated breakages of firing pin return springs, which RTB and CMMG assure me is not normal.

I replaced the hammer/trigger with a Brownells polished/plated unit with JP reduced power hammer and trigger springs, installed a new firing pin spring, and cleaned the BCG. I used less lube than normal.

I took my .22 AR to the range yesterday and fired a few hundred rounds with the bolt weight in place. No doubles, no misfires, no problems.

The gun stays noticeably cleaner with the bolt weight and the combination of polished hammer/trigger and reduced power springs results in a nice trigger pull.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-14-21 at 07:04.

Feedback Score
    Have Cmmg Bravo kit and CMMG M4 .22 barrel. Is it a safe assumption that a CMMG lower parts kit with hammer will work ok with their .22 barrel and adapter kit in a standard mil-spec lower?
    Had planned on using another lower before the BRD set in and I realized that with a "few more parts". I could have a dedicated .22 rig.

Heard something about preferred hammers for the conversion kit. What hammers work/ what should be avoided when building a lower for this application?
    Thank you for your input

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ike838 View Post
    Have Cmmg Bravo kit and CMMG M4 .22 barrel. Is it a safe assumption that a CMMG lower parts kit with hammer will work ok with their .22 barrel and adapter kit in a standard mil-spec lower?
    Had planned on using another lower before the BRD set in and I realized that with a "few more parts". I could have a dedicated .22 rig.

Heard something about preferred hammers for the conversion kit. What hammers work/ what should be avoided when building a lower for this application?
    Thank you for your input
    My understanding is that a "mil-spec" hammer is the safest bet. I am running a Brownells plated and polished hammer/trigger with reduced power springs without issues.

I ran my upper with a Gieselle G2S, Larue MBT, generic mil-spec and BCM PNT triggers before I built a dedicated lower and never had a problem.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info Andy.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Shot my CMMG-pattern dedicated 22 LR again this weekend. I am still fine tuning lube quantity (stays cleaner if you don't run it "wet") but it has proven itself to be an amazingly reliable little plinker.

The final piece of the puzzle for mine was running a reduced power spring set on a Brownells polished and plated "Mil Spec" trigger. Besides providing a decent trigger pull, this eliminated doubling and reduced breakage of the firing pin return springs.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I already have a M&P 15-22 pistol so I am building a 16" barrel 22LR rifle w/a dedicated lower. Using the BCA side charging upper. Going to run the better-mag adapter to run my 15-22 mags in it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Hit the range today with my dedicated 22 AR and Ruger MKII standard pistol. Took a friend who hasn't shot pistols or offhand with rifles much at all. We shot 7 mags through the pistol at 10 yards then switched to the rifle. She asked if she could shoot the rifle from the bench but got bored with that pretty fast and switched to offhand.

.22 LRs are awfully fun guns. My friend said she wanted to learn to shoot as fast as I do. I am not fast but you can really burn through rounds in an AR 22 with a light single stage trigger.

It was a great day to relax shooting some rimfires at the range.

Andy

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567