Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 22LR AR15 buying advice needed

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Andy', that may well be the case, tho' "If short is kewl, really short is really kewl.
    Now if a surpressor is really the objective, then a shorter barrel would keep the overall length down, so there is that.
    CZ makes a Scorpion with an 8" barrel and an integral/telescoped supressor, so the package stayed short.
    Moon
    With Rimfire in particular if you are running a 5" or shorter barrel- "standard velocity" or Bulk Pack ammunition- the most common loads by far, will remain subsonic. It's a better solution to me than having to hunt around for sub sonic ammo which is--- 1. Produced by fewer manufacturers 2. Produced in smaller quantities 3. More expensive 4. Difficult to find when there is a Panic on----

So yea, I tend to run very short barrels on anything in .22 lr that I intend to suppress.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't forget to buy a rehab spring kit (or 2)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a CMMG upper. Put it on a PSA lower. I use the Redi-Mag adapter and the 15-22 mags.

The LRBHO is iffy on the Rdi-Mag once it gets dirty, so I changed to the AR Catch22: https://arcatch22.com/ I had to use a Dremel to cut the Redi Mag LRBHO portion out of the Redi-mag adapter so it can fit, but that's easy and not a precise process at all.

I use a Tacom3G firing pin, buffer spring, CF handguard, and CF stock.

From Bore Buddy - https://borebuddy.com/ I have replaced the extractor spring and use their adjustable bolt weight system replacing the CMMG plastic one which is too light.

I also added Hyperfire 24C trigger for extra hard primer strikes on some of those stubborn 22lr rounds and an Allchin muzzle brake to make the muzzle report louder so that shot timers can catch it better.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I have a CMMG upper. Put it on a PSA lower. I use the Redi-Mag adapter and the 15-22 mags.

The LRBHO is iffy on the Rdi-Mag once it gets dirty, so I changed to the AR Catch22: https://arcatch22.com/ I had to use a Dremel to cut the Redi Mag LRBHO portion out of the Redi-mag adapter so it can fit, but that's easy and not a precise process at all.

I use a Tacom3G firing pin, buffer spring, CF handguard, and CF stock.

From Bore Buddy - https://borebuddy.com/ I have replaced the extractor spring and use their adjustable bolt weight system replacing the CMMG plastic one which is too light.

I also added Hyperfire 24C trigger for extra hard primer strikes on some of those stubborn 22lr rounds and an Allchin muzzle brake to make the muzzle report louder so that shot timers can catch it better.

I love the "space gun" look. I am curious what ammo you are running with a bolt weight and heavier hammer spring.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I love the "space gun" look. I am curious what ammo you are running with a bolt weight and heavier hammer spring.

Andy
    It runs pretty much anything, although I never tried subsonic. Currently running the Winchester 333 hollow point ammo. Used Winchester Super-X before that. Had a few light primer strikes now an then, so that is why I went to the Hiperfire trigger. It hits hard. I try to use high velocity. I currently use the 4 aluminum rods in the buffer weight kit. https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-bolt-weight/

I first tried the tungsten rods when testing and they were too heavy and would not consistently reset the trigger although it would work 90% of the time, so I went to the lighter aluminum ones because I didn't have the time to do more thorough testing and I had an action steel shoot coming up so I played it safe. I am thinking I could get away with the stainless steel rods, but I want to test them out thoroughly first. It would be frustrating if I tried them out untested and I get a bunch of dead triggers on a shoot.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 05-26-21 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks
    I had doubles using the (non-adjustable) Bore Buddy weight and a "Milspec" hammer/trigger with standard velocity ammo.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks
    I had doubles using the (non-adjustable) Bore Buddy weight and a "Milspec" hammer/trigger with standard velocity ammo.

Andy
    What kind of mags are you using?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What kind of mags are you using?
    Black Dog 20 and CMMG 30 (Edit - 15 and 25 round mags). I *think* fully loaded 25 rd mags would double on the first couple of rounds (due to drag on the bolt). I removed the weight and went back to shooting.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-06-22 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Black Dog 20 and CMMG 30. I *think* fully loaded 30s would double on the first couple of rounds (due to drag on the bolt). I removed the weight and went back to shooting.

Andy
    I'd give the redi-mag adapter with S&W 15-22 mags a try and see if that helps.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'd give the redi-mag adapter with S&W 15-22 mags a try and see if that helps.
    Honestly, the gun runs very well and I only had the doubles during one range visit out of many. I didn't really try much troubleshooting, just removed the bolt weight and went back to shooting.

It is interesting you can run a heavy hammer spring and a weight, though. Also that I have not had (many?) misfires with a stock trigger. Rimfires are a different animal for sure.

Andy

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast