Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22LR AR15 buying advice needed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

22LR AR15 buying advice needed

Good afternoon fellas. I am trying to make a decision between a Tippmann Arms Pistol, the Micro Elite, and a dedicated 22 upper, the CMMG Banshee 300 MK4. I was hoping that some of you would have experience with these firearms and answer some questions for me.

Would a having a complete 22 pistol versus a 22 upper on a 5.56 lower be more reliable? Is there a noticeable difference in quality between the Tippmann Arms and CMMG parts used for the builds? (like the handguard, bolt, barrel...)

The barrel length of the two are different, the Tippmann has a 7.5" barrel and the CMMG has a 4.5" barrel. I imagine that this would affect the accuracy a little bit, but would it be noticeable between the two? Would the 7.5" barrel be short enough to keep bulk ammo subsonic?

The Tippman (complete rifle) is running about $550 and the CMMG (just the upper) might be 50 bucks more than the Tippmann.

Any opinions/advice are welcome, and thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I built a dedicated upper using the CMMG bolt and 4.5” barrel that came as a set with a 4” carbon fiber free float hand guard. I use it on a standard AR-15 lower that I SBR’d with a spectre 2 can. With the Back Dog magazines it runs well. The Black Dog drum is also a winner (but must use round nose bullets with it). I primarily shoot CCI SV to keep things subsonic.

Pop 2 pins, swap uppers and swap magazines and there you go. You can build a dedicated lower for it at any time.

One day I’ll build an upper with a longer .22lr barrel.

While I haven’t put it on a rest yet for accuracy, for function it runs well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never considered building one, thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I put together my own 22 upper. Used 16" CMMG barrel and BCG. AR-Stoner upper, PSA carry handle, Black Dog magazines. It has ran 100% with cheap bulk 22 from Remington and Federal.

With the barrel extending back into the receiver further than a typical 5.56, the 16" 22 rimfire comes out just a little bit longer than a 14.5" overall.

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 08-19-20 at 12:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfAGunn View Post
    I never considered building one, thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    The CMMG barrel and bolt kit was around $250, already had a stripped upper, the Carbon fiber hand guard was on sale at the time for $68.. You can build it cheaper than buying a complete upper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Jeez, you guys made this more difficult. That's a good looking rifle, I'm glad to hear that the cmmg parts run well. I've got a few upper lower sets on hand, I may just build one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some old photos when I built my upper..

This is how the bolt and barrel fit inside the upper:

Here are 2 more after everything installed.
    The hand guard is the same length as the barrel.

And a side view:

Feedback Score
    I never could get black dog bags to lock back consistently. So I want the Bonnie packer MOD so that you can use s&w 15–22 magazines the ar conversions.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I never could get black dog bags to lock back consistently.
    brody-half-res_4d2b7c24-e6ed-4da2-8119-7ea4b1b12ce5_300x.jpg

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Why not just get a S&W M&P 15-22? That's as close to a gold standard for a .22LR AR as there is.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast