Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 22LR AR15 buying advice needed

Feedback Score
    I currently have 2 S&W, both run great for me. The mags are maybe the best part. For me, they are easy to load, no loader required like a Black Dog. The reliability puts to shame the Ruger BX-25 mags.

Feedback Score
    Might want to check this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Pressure-Plug

I use a dedicated AR15 lower for my 22, and use S&W mags with the following bolt catch:
    https://arcatch22.com/

This gives me last round hold open. This a rifle length 22, but I see no reason it wouldn't work for a pistol.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    no loader required like a Black Dog.
    Huh?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Build a short upper and then buy a 15-22

I fit a 4.5" CMMG kit under a BCM MCMR 8" rail, and extended the barrel with a KAK flash can. No suppressor yet.

The lower it sits on has the Boonie Packer "BetterMag" magwell insert which lets you run the superior (IMO) 15-22 mags under a CMMG bolt, and get LRBHO. I did have to hand fit the magwell adapter.

Highly recommend the "Lightnin' Grip Loader" from McFadden Machine. You can fill mags almost as quickly as emptying them. What's nice about the 15-22 magazines is that you can use the thumb studs of the follower to give the McFadden loader a bit of an assist.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Huh?
    They (S&W) have the buttons to pull the follower down. I loaded many thousands of rounds in the CMMG/Black Dog mags before I got a lightning loader, fwiw.

Andy

Feedback Score
    After trying the M&P15/22 and finding it OK... but not exactly what I wanted, I put a CMMG conversion kit on an older Bushmaster PC carbine with a 1-9 twist. The magazines seem sketchy, but they run 100%. Accuracy out to 50 yards was much better than I expected. No functioning issues running suppressed either.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for the Smith 15-22, and its superb mags.
    The darned thing will eat about any kind of .22 ammo. I've GI sights and a carrying handle on mine, as all my ARs are irons. Need to get it out and shoot it...I've lots of .22 ammo from the last panics....
    Moon

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    They (S&W) have the buttons to pull the follower down. I loaded many thousands of rounds in the CMMG/Black Dog mags before I got a lightning loader, fwiw.
    I just wear my range gloves while loading 'em - the last 5 or so are slow, but I've never had a problem loading by hand.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I do love my lightning loader. The only down side is that you can burn through a lot of 22lr if you are loading mags for amother shooter. It doesn't help that my 22lr upper just runs and runs without heating up like a 5.56.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I never could get black dog bags to lock back consistently. So I want the Bonnie packer MOD so that you can use s&w 15–22 magazines the ar conversions.
    Yea the bonnie packer/redimag bettermag adapter with the cmmg bolt/22 barrel is a very good setup. The M&P 15-22 mags work so much better.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast