Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 22LR AR15 buying advice needed

Feedback Score
    I know the CMMG with a actual 22LR barrel works good with Black Dog magazines, until the magazine springs wear out. I have heard the S&W works like very good no personal experience.
    Tippmann stuff has been top line in paintball and prior projects in 22LR.
    I'm a little old to be out doing the paintball thing anymore but I still have a Tippmann paintball gun it's probably 25 years old or so. Kind of funny they was a gun company that moved to being a paintball company and I guess they are trying to move back.
    .Attachment 63632
    This is mine I assembled years back with light weight profile 22LR barrel. Currently wearing a QD 4 lug mount.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have three of the MP22's. I know for a fact that one of them has over 17000 rounds on it so far and all I've done is swap out a recoil spring at 15k. They run and run and run. Not terribly picky about ammo either. I had an Advantage Arms Glock conversion before the 44's came out- it was pure craptastic as far as reliability. Got rid of it as soon as the 44's were announced!
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score

22LR AR15 buying advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Tippmann used to be a paintball company. Not that they can’t make a firearm correctly, but at least S&W has been doing it for a while. Plus that actual gun has been out for many years and has tons of use so it’s the closest thing to a known entity. Your money, but I got tired of wasting money on new products a while ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dennis Tippmann has been a very busy guy.
    Tippmann Armory is a firearms company still in the business. They build rolling blocks and a sweet 9mm Gatling:

Tippmann Armory
    https://tippmannarmory.com/shop-all/

https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/th...tling-9mm-gun/

Tippman Arms is another one. They make the AR-15s:

https://tippmannarms.com/shop-all/?sort=featured&page=1

Tippmann Manufacturing manufactured some really cool half scale belt fed .22 machine guns back when transferable machine guns were allowed. So he’s done it for a while.

https://youtu.be/Jw3dwzh9J9o

And yes, another one of his companies makes high end paintball guns, but that’s a much later enterprise,

https://tippmann.com

and I’ve heard he also makes an air powered full auto .22 rifle but I haven’t seen that, yet.

I would never dismiss anything he has had a hand in developing simply because he made paintball guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve Shannon; 09-01-20 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    I handled a 15-22 and Tippmann the other day at the gun store. I previously owned a 15-22 as well but sold it

I am going with the Tippmann. Have heard nothing but good things and it felt like a real AR. Has the aluminium receivers and can take ar 15 parts (trigger etc). Also comes with sites and a 12'' aluminium mlock rail for $499. I have been looking around for 15-22 as well and they are running $450-500 even online when stocked the price difference isn't really a concern

I will post some feedback once i shoot a few hundred rounds

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Picked up my new Tippmann yesterday and put 125 rds through it. The weight, balance, and quality feel of this build is really on a whole different level. I had 3 of the 15-22's in the past, sold them all, reliable enough but extremely inaccurate platform running 4 MOA @ 50 yards with most ammo types, and the weight was not realistic enough. The Tippmann addressed both of these things, the weight is nearly 6lb and feels like a real-world rifle. Haven't scoped it to test accuracy yet but it was getting tight patterns with just a red dot and CCI Minimags @ 25y. The mags are also a nice design and built well, the feeding is really consistent.

One thing I would change: the trigger. Not bad, it's a milspec running around 5lb but a bit rough and gritty. Tippmann and users have vetted that a few aftermarket triggers will drop in and replace it: ALG ACT, Elftmann Match, etc. Some users tried G triggers and they don't work, neither does Larue M2s without mods. Last night I tried the Sionics 2-stage (Schmid 1005) trigger, it didn't work either. I will probably get an ALG when I can find one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I looked at the options and bought a dedicated 22 rather than an upper or new bolt & BCG. I chose the HK 416 22 and have really enjoyed it. It is light and accurate. The only downside is that it does not have a bolt catch release so you can only release the bolt with the charging handle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    20190420_224547.jpg

15-22

Feedback Score
    Years ago I built a dedicated 22 ar using a Taccom ulw barrel and cmmg bolt and have a few dozen black dog mags with plastic and metal feed lips. My goodness - would totally do that again and recommend it to others. I can't say how pleased I've been with that setup for grouping at 25-50, Appleseed clinics etc., with CCI\blazer bulk that I'd get by the case. The light weight was such a joy to get new young shooters started (and drinking the AR cool-aid before 10yr old).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Local pawn shop is changing hands next month and in preparation I am cleaning out the "back room". They have piles of AR parts etc...that were taken off customer rifles over the last 20 years- they do a bunch of gunsmithing there. I always thought it weird that people didn't want the take off stuff but you'd be surprised at how many guys want a McCormick trigger in a gun and don't want the stock parts back.....So they have huge piles of the stuff in cardboard boxes....

Anyway, working on a new dedicated AR 22 made of take off "junk".

So far, I have a S&W Sport upper- no FWD assist, no dust cover, a DPMS heavy barrel with good rifling and a pile of furniture and lower parts...... Found a cardboard box with two CMMG conversions in it, box was Sharpie'd "Broke shit".....There were several cases in the box that were bulged etc...so some issue there. BUT, CMMG has a lifetime warranty that is fully transferable. I'll send those back and get them fixed or new ones....

A machinist buddy can cut the crappy DPMS barrel down to 10" and turn it down to a reasonable weight- the gas port is irrelevant for a dedicated, blow back .22 anyway...I just need the 5.56 chamber and decent rifling...

There is a Chinesium fake Larue Quad Rail in the pile of stuff....and a couple of pistol braces of various types. I'll likely 3d Print a lower, good practice, and no real stress with a .22.... Should be a fun little project with almost no cash outlay....Always fun to make "something" out of nothing....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Wow, Tipperman is a 'kid in a candy store' event, and I'd have their Gatling, barring that $5K business....
    Their AR .22 looks great too, and not stupid expensive, and if the gun world weren't nuts, I'd chase one.
    But gun stuff is crazy, and I'll live with the 15-22 for now...which, BTW, will run a Geissele SSA.
    Really wish another maker would consider the 15-22 magazines, which are both inexpensive and excellent.
    Moon

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast