Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple rounds fired with trigger pull, need to fix.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    You don't need ammo to function check the trigger parts.

Put it back together and check it out.
    I think his son-in-law is concerned about possessing a MG, so that may be a reason for not reassembling.

I was going to suggest putting the FCG in another lower and function checking. My bet would be on the polymer lower.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    You don't need ammo to function check the trigger parts.

Put it back together and check it out.
    You REALLY should perform a function test before firing a new AR and after cleaning/maintenance. Always STOP if a step fails.

1. Remove all ammunition from the room, triple check rifle to ensure it is not loaded.

2. Cycle action (verifying empty chamber again) and place rifle on safe.

3. Point rifle at a safe backstop and attempt to pull trigger - hammer should NOT fall.

4. Move selector to fire, pull trigger, and hold to rear - hammer should fall.

5. Continue to hold trigger, pull charging handle fully to the rear and release to re-cock rifle.

6. Release trigger - you should hear and feel a distinct click as the trigger resets.

7. Pull trigger - hammer should fall with a distinct click.

8. Pull charging handle to rear and release, then place selector on safe.

I normally repeat steps 2-8 two additional times.

If there is NO click on step 6 or step 7 - push out rear takedown pin and "shotgun" the rifle. Note if the hammer is forward (uncocked) or to the rear (cocked).

If step 6 fails and the hammer is forward - the disconnector is not catching the hammer when the action is cycled.

If step 7 fails and the hammer is forward, the trigger's sear is not catching the hammer.

If step 6 fails and the hammer is cocked, the disconnector is not releasing the hammer.

In your shoes, I would replace the FCG with a known good set and perform a function check. If it fails, the lower is suspect. If it passes, I would correctly install the old set and re-test. If it still fails the function check - dispose of the FCG and replace it. FCGs are cheap - I don't swap individual pieces attempting to fix them.

BTW - it's not easy for an AR to fail in a manner that produces a full auto rifle.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-21-20 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    Make sure the disconnector spring is installed. This is most likely an issue with the disconnector. As another member stated, it’s allowing the hammer to follow the bolt. If everything checks out with the fire control group, it could possibly be the spacing of the hammer/trigger retaining pin holes, which wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything good about TN Arms. I’m surprised they’re still in business.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeydo View Post
    Make sure the disconnector spring is installed. This is most likely an issue with the disconnector. As another member stated, it’s allowing the hammer to follow the bolt. If everything checks out with the fire control group, it could possibly be the spacing of the hammer/trigger retaining pin holes, which wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything good about TN Arms. I’m surprised they’re still in business.
    This first...

After that - if the disconnector is at fault - It is not at all hard to properly time one.

Feedback Score
    The disconnect or spring was bad (crushed). I missed this when I was assisting in putting it together. Talk about amateur hour. I did inspect the rest of the FCG and there is nothing out of order, damaged, or out of spec when compared to other parts. I have a replacement and will be trying it out again at my next trip to the range.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UTShooter71 View Post
    The disconnect or spring was bad (crushed). I missed this when I was assisting in putting it together. Talk about amateur hour. I did inspect the rest of the FCG and there is nothing out of order, damaged, or out of spec when compared to other parts. I have a replacement and will be trying it out again at my next trip to the range.
    Glad you found the culprit. Does it now reset correctly when dry firing, etc?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Glad you found the culprit. Does it now reset correctly when dry firing, etc?
    I will post it as soon as it is back together. I'm hopeful.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UTShooter71 View Post
    I’d throw it in the garbage and put in a FCG of known quality.. ie Geissele ssa or budget g2s.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Your lower receiver hammer and trigger pin holes could also be off. It doesn't take much wear to take out a lower from pin wear or mislocated holes.

Feedback Score
    Tennessee Arms lower reassembled with all new parts kit. New brace on the way as well. The lower function checks okay: hammer locks back; safety engages; so on. After I have the brace installed and can function check it with an upper I will get it to the range and report further. Thanks for the assistance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast