Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum sealing ceramic plates for moisture protection

Feedback Score

Vacuum sealing ceramic plates for moisture protection

Search turned up no answers on point. Seems like a no-brainer, but figured I'd ask the pros.

I've just come into possession of two very nice Ceradyne ceramic plates. They're old but well cared for. I want to protect them from moisture, but with minimal added bulk.

Has anyone here ever repurposed a kitchen vacuum sealer (or had access to a professional one) to seal ceramic armor plates in plastic, and create a vapor barrier?

I think that if you can vacuum seal a rack of ribs and fully fit both the concave and convex portions, there shouldn't be a problem with an armor plate.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I don’t think the bags would hold up to the abrasion. They’d develop pinholes in short order. They’d still keep the plates dry but not sealed like you’re thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't believe moisture is a problem for ceramic plates, they do make swimmer cut plates after all.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This is really special. Really. Special.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    I don’t think the bags would hold up to the abrasion. They’d develop pinholes in short order. They’d still keep the plates dry but not sealed like you’re thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Good call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    This is really special. Really. Special.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You know that troops wear these things in the rain and jungle, and some of us have even been known to go swimming in them, right?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCRV View Post
    Thanks for your contribution.
    No no. Thank you.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You know that troops wear these things in the rain and jungle, and some of us have even been known to go swimming in them, right?
    Yeah, and if their structural integrity is compromised in any way, .mil pays for new ones.

I'm still interested in a thin moisture barrier I can apply to the plates.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I didn’t realize it was a concern. My SAPI plates and I got soaked many times in the Army. They never seemed to be compromised. How do you evaluate failure from water contamination?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast