Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum sealing ceramic plates for moisture protection

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I didn’t realize it was a concern. My SAPI plates and I got soaked many times in the Army. They never seemed to be compromised. How do you evaluate failure from water contamination?
    Not a clue. Just figured it can't hurt to keep them dry.

Friend I bought them from was a long time user in Iraq and Afghanistan. Said that while he had got them (same make/model) wet before (submerged and rained on) it was advisable to limit unnecessary exposure to moisture.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Well of course. And unnecessary exposure to sand, dirt, chemicals, WMDs and lead. They’re a durable disposable item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DCRV View Post
    Yeah, and if their structural integrity is compromised in any way, .mil pays for new ones.

I'm still interested in a thin moisture barrier I can apply to the plates.
    You're over-thinking it- just wear them and take care of them, wipe them down to get some of the funk off- wash the PC in the dishwasher no soap - cold water (cut off the hot if need be)- air dry. Do that and your kids will be using them (hope they won't need them though).

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    OP just FYI my department was donated a bunch of ceramic plates from the DoD during the DC sniper incident back in 2002. These plates were for USAF gunners and were made in the 90's. Quite heavy but all ceramic. These things rode around in cruiser trunks for a couple of years and then I had them stacked in a outside storage shed for at least 10 years. Last year in 2019 I brought 40 plates to the range and let the quys conducting patrol rifle quals blast them before I threw them all in the dumpster. They all stopped our duty ammo Winchester Q3342 on the first shot. Most of the OD green canvas carriers were quite molded but the plates did what they were suppose to. I wouldn't be overly concerned about your plates as long as you take reasonable care of them. David

Feedback Score
    Spray on water proof coating.....maybe flex seal would work. The guy in the commercial makes a boat out of the stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    You're over-thinking it- just wear them and take care of them, wipe them down to get some of the funk off- wash the PC in the dishwasher no soap - cold water (cut off the hot if need be)- air dry. Do that and your kids will be using them (hope they won't need them though).
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    OP just FYI my department was donated a bunch of ceramic plates from the DoD during the DC sniper incident back in 2002. These plates were for USAF gunners and were made in the 90's. Quite heavy but all ceramic. These things rode around in cruiser trunks for a couple of years and then I had them stacked in a outside storage shed for at least 10 years. Last year in 2019 I brought 40 plates to the range and let the quys conducting patrol rifle quals blast them before I threw them all in the dumpster. They all stopped our duty ammo Winchester Q3342 on the first shot. Most of the OD green canvas carriers were quite molded but the plates did what they were suppose to. I wouldn't be overly concerned about your plates as long as you take reasonable care of them. David
    Thanks guys, both of you, for not being snide.

Dave, I was a high school student in Northern VA when Malvo and Mohammed were tearing up the area. Interesting times. I'm still in and out of the Seven Corners Home Depot on a regular basis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    Thanks guys, both of you, for not being snide.

Dave, I was a high school student in Northern VA when Malvo and Mohammed were tearing up the area. Interesting times. I'm still in and out of the Seven Corners Home Depot on a regular basis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12