Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-shot rod making contact with rifling.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Pro-shot rod making contact with rifling.

Man I have been putting together a new toy and just waiting for some time to play. CZ At-One with a Vortex Viper VHS-4325. Finally got the rail and rings in to mount the scope and was planning to shoot today after a quick clean. Have an issue with the Pro-Shot getting rifling cuts in it. Called Pro-Shot but it was after hours, so I thought I would ask here. I pushed a 22 patch and jag down the barrel and I felt a little resistance like the patch folding over the jag, normal. However, when I dropped the patch out of the muzzle and returned back to the breech there was still slight resistance. I looked at the rod and it has an imprint of the rifling all the way down it and is very noticeable in a section about 4” long 2” from the threaded end. The gun is brand new and never fired, the pro-shot was brand new and the jag was brand new. I only ran it down and back the one time. My bore guide is too large for the CZ so I had to line it up by hand. I have part number 1PS-26-22/26 and says it is for .22-.26 cal.

The rod mic’s at .22” with some cheap dial calipers. Anybody else with this same rod and a mic that can tell me if it is oversized or is the CZ just tight? Is the rod hard enough to take much life out of the barrel? I can clearly see the marks, but not able to really feel anything. It looks like it would polish out with a little buffing. So the rifling just barely cut into the rod.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I haven't used rods in years & come from a benchrest backgrounds formerly using Lucas guides...the foaming bore cleaners are the real deal.
    I thought the foaming cleaner was snake oil until I saw the benchrest boys who were winning move to the stuff...I have to say it is really nice not having to mess with scrubbing, bore guides, rods, various jags, brushes, etc.

You will need:

~A piece of weed whacker string
    ~One can of Wipe Out Foaming Bore Cleaner
    ~One can of Wipe Out Accelerator
    ~Lighter or matches (to prep the string)
    ~Patches of various size
    ~Kroil

Cut a piece of weed whacker string about a foot or so longer than your barrel...sharpen one end with a knife / exacto so you can pierce the patches. On the other end, take a lighter & burn the end till it starts melting & then lightly tap on a hard damp surface to slightly flare out. This will keep the patch from pulling off the string.

Pierce a patch of correct size (this will take some trial & error but start small or you patch will pull off in bore) and add the Wipe Out Accelerator till wet. Pull through from Chamber end. IMPORTANT: Pull the string straight out like a bullet leaving the bbl & not at an angle where it will rub on the crown. Do this 2-3 times till the patch is no longer colored with powder residue.

Take you Wipe Out Foam & shake...You can use a straw or get the flexible adaptor squirt from the bore end when possible or use the funnel like adaptor & squirt from the muzzle end. Do SHORT QUICK bursts as it does not take much. Have a rag handy to soak up any overage. Takes a few times to get it down from overflow, but will get easier the more you use it.

I let mine sit over night but couple hours is probably fine & pull a clean patch through the next day...if it has a lot of blue / copper or crud I will repeat the process with the Accelerator & Foam & let set for maybe 1-3 hours & usually takes care of all fouling. Pull 2-3 dry patches to get out all moisture & then get one last clean patch with a few drops of kroil for storage and/or shooting session. No need to soak the bore with broil & a few drops is more than enough. You don't want it running back into the action when stored.

I then take a .38 or .45 bore mop with a small handle & dry up the chamber too.

Like I've said, the results have been great & has made life easier in my experience. The do make a Patch Out, but the Foam works WAY better.

Make up a few of the whacker strings & keep them in your range / hunting bag with some patches in a ziplock...great to use in a pinch if you get your bore wet or even crud in the muzzle. Loosen crud with point & pull patches from chamber. GTG.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    I haven't used rods in years & come from a benchrest backgrounds formerly using Lucas guides...the foaming bore cleaners are the real deal.
    I thought the foaming cleaner was snake oil until I saw the benchrest boys who were winning move to the stuff...I have to say it is really nice not having to mess with scrubbing, bore guides, rods, various jags, brushes, etc.

You will need:

~A piece of weed whacker string
    ~One can of Wipe Out Foaming Bore Cleaner
    ~One can of Wipe Out Accelerator
    ~Lighter or matches (to prep the string)
    ~Patches of various size
    ~Kroil
    ^This approach is the way to go. I've moved away from rods, I still keep a few of my Dewey's around, but rarely use them.

I use different products, but the principle is the same.
    - Some type of pull-through cable device for patches and brushes (I love the Otis system, but the improvised one described can work just fine)
    - Some type of quality, non-toxic cleaner that does most of the work (I've used WipeOut too, liked it, currently I like the combo Mpro-7 for routine cleaning, and Boretech Eliminator for deep cleaning including copper)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    CZs have a reputation for being very tight. A .20 rod is usually recommended. Rimfire central has a lot of anecdotal posts about CZs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I almost went that route, but I was reading that the soft plastic could be more abrasive once contaminated than the micro polished SS rod. So I ordered the rod before I realized the string could be a one and done if I was that concerned of contamination. So I had the rod and wanted to try it. Now I will most likely just do as you say and do the homemade Patchworm. Just still would like to know if the barrel is hard enough it just laughed at the SS rod or if I took some serious barrel life off. Think I will send the rod back either way as it is obviously too large or the bore is a little small.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've had good service with these and .22's. The pellets work great and the patches also

http://www.patchworm.com
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    CZs have a reputation for being very tight. A .20 rod is usually recommended. Rimfire central has a lot of anecdotal posts about CZs.
    1_click_off, you didn't say whether your new CZ is a 22 LR or .223 or something else. But like Chubbs103 says, the CZ 22 LR bores are widely known to be tight, and many people use smaller caliber rods and jags to avoid the issue you experienced.

Patchworm plastic cords work great. But be careful using them with Boretech cleaning solvents. I think they have a tendency to break down the glue that holds the head (the large end of the plastic cord that holds the patches), so the head may come off eventually.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    1_click_off, you didn't say whether your new CZ is a 22 LR or .223 or something else. But like Chubbs103 says, the CZ 22 LR bores are widely known to be tight, and many people use smaller caliber rods and jags to avoid the issue you experienced.

Patchworm plastic cords work great. But be careful using them with Boretech cleaning solvents. I think they have a tendency to break down the glue that holds the head (the large end of the plastic cord that holds the patches), so the head may come off eventually.

Joe Mamma
    You are correct, I did leave off the caliber. Got ahead of myself. Yes, 22lr.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Boresnake and be done with it. Todd H. dispelled the myths of cleaning rifles. He’s almost certainly the greatest living long range precision shooter and he cleans his rifles when the groups start opening up- he says around 4,000 rounds.

I come from a military background in the GWOT with plenty of time spent OCONUS cleaning nearly every weapons system you can think of as if I would be getting surgery on it. I shoot 10x more now, rarely if ever clean, and still have nearly zero malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Boresnake and be done with it. Todd H. dispelled the myths of cleaning rifles. He’s almost certainly the greatest living long range precision shooter and he cleans his rifles when the groups start opening up- he says around 4,000 rounds.
    I must be misreading this. Are you saying you don't need to clean the bore for 4000 rounds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast