Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baffling baffle strikes

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There could still be some weird harmonic whip going on with the can mounted. I could be way off, but nothing else comes to mind if the can is on straight.

(I have a Saber Defense barrel that spins hornady 55 gr soft point apart. So... barrels can do odd things)
    Yeah, there seems to be some kind of weird black magic stuff going on. If it weren’t for the taper mount, we’d trade things around and see if the Virtus kills other cans, or if the can gets killed on other guns. As it is, the dude is probably going to mount it on a G upper when it gets back.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A friend of mine had something similar happen. Proven barrel/upper with several thousand rounds through it, as accurate as he was able to shoot. Added a Dead Air .30 caliber can with 5.56 end cap and was getting end cap strikes. After replacing the end cap and verifying it wasn't an alignment issue, he got an end cap strike, but worse than the first.

It ended up being something funky with the barrel crown. After having the barrel recrowned, it was 100% after that.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    A friend of mine had something similar happen. Proven barrel/upper with several thousand rounds through it, as accurate as he was able to shoot. Added a Dead Air .30 caliber can with 5.56 end cap and was getting end cap strikes. After replacing the end cap and verifying it wasn't an alignment issue, he got an end cap strike, but worse than the first.

It ended up being something funky with the barrel crown. After having the barrel recrowned, it was 100% after that.
    Thanks. We’ll examine the crown more closely.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That gouge in the muzzle brake should also be looked at.

Could also have the same effect as a crown defect.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Thanks. We’ll examine the crown more closely.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    That gouge in the muzzle brake should also be looked at.

Could also have the same effect as a crown defect.
    Roger that. The Sig mount can be used without the brake. We’ll look into that.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    What kind of upper? Factory or a build?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Five point five six and Clint have probably hit it dead on.
    A interesting things happen with a silencer, I watched the "clear polymer tube " silencer video recorded with high speed camera. From what I understand the blast wave passed the bullet in the tube and reflected back. That gas jet striking any "defect" surface could/ would be a reason for deflecting bullet flight path. Clearance vs tipping of bullet from straight.
    Some accurate barrels can have a sh### crown but due to every bullet fired hitting it the same. Plus mixing barrel harmonics. But after adding the suppressor it becomes known and a problem. The shooter don't know or notice it before.

I have a shi### form 1 5.56 can on a low end 10.5 barrel the can flat out sucked on a 16 or longer barrel but when I installed it them together it works out better than I expected. was about to just leave it on a 5.7 Barrel until I tried it on it. It was total crap on 18 in S.S. barrel that did good with out it. It's was a interesting and good project.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Factory Sig MCX Virtus complete weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    What kind of upper? Factory or a build?
    Update: the can came back from Sig with somewhat more generous bore clearance. It is noticeably louder than it was when new, or maybe its the weather, or just in our heads. Still sounds OK, about on par with my M4SDk and another buddy’s Chimera 300 with 30 cap. Dude’s been using it with the flash hider mount on a G Super Duty rifle with no baffle strikes for a couple weeks. He’s afraid to put it back on the Sig rifle, and I don’t blame him. Last time the Sig rifle came back from the factory, we couldn’t even mount the can initially because the warranty dudes installed the mount effed up.

We’re not super impressed by the mount system. The secondary retention latch thingy will allow quite a bit of rotation before it catches, which seems useless on a taper mount. When he had baffle strikes, we checked that the can was still tight, and it was. However, he had massive POI problems two weeks ago, at the beginning of a range session, and we determined the can was not as tight as it should be. Must have bumped loose when cold in the truck or something. Or maybe user error. We’ve been checking that religiously before we start shooting, and no problems since then. The accuracy seems mediocre, but we’re shooting mediocre ammo, so I’m not going to jump to conclusions just yet.

I don’t think I’d recommend this can.
    Last edited by 1168; 11-07-20 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would grab another mount and start over with a new mount. After checking all the other advice offered. And study that crown, the mounts are supposed to solve some of these issues. SOME , sometimes... I have that can and multiple Sig cans, even blown one up so I feel you Big guy.

I have enjoyed my Sig cans and they have worked great, with great CS when I trashed my can. ( Don't shoot a 6.5 cartridge through a 308 barrel, you might have stability problems, just might) Sig also sells a wrench to remove the cans when you over torque them for like $35 that like. But I have many cans and might be more useful to me.

If you have more problems, I would have sent/send gun and can into for inspection.

Good luck.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 11-14-20 at 11:24.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I would grab another mount and start over with a new mount. ***Snip***
    If you have more problems, I would have sent/send gun and can into for inspection.

Good luck.

PB
    He’s using the open tine flash suppressor mount on his G upper. Probably about a Thou through it with the can at this point. No more problems.

He actually did send the MCX and can back to Sig, twice. At this point, I can’t say I blame him for saying $&@% that rifle.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12