Thread: AAR: Sheriff of Baghdad Pistol Marksmanship - 8/20/2020 - Richmond, VA Area

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

AAR: Sheriff of Baghdad Pistol Marksmanship - 8/20/2020 - Richmond, VA Area

Sheriff of Baghdad Pistol Marksmanship - One Day
    August 20, 2020
    Cavalier Rod & Gun Club
    Montpelier, VA

Instructor:
    John “Shrek” McPhee

Class Summary:
    Only 4 shooters (several cancellations due to COVID) shooting mostly Glocks (one shooter used a brand new out of the box Wilson Combat Beretta 92). Round count was low. 101. And we will see why later. We did the usual range rules and med plan brief and then had a good long talk on his methodology and how he’s developed it.

The course is highly focused on diagnostics and Shrek uses Coach’s Eye to record and telestrate problems and fixes for each shooter. He’s a got a neat setup with a flat screen in the back of his truck so you can watch you video right there with him and he records the coaching session for you.

It seemed odd but we only fired 3 rounds before lunch. The time devoted to almost frame by frame deconstruction of those three rounds took up the rest of the time. After lunch we got into more reps and did a final video analysis to see how we’re we incorporating his fixes. All of your videos are later sent to you by his admin via drop box.

He is a very hands on instructor. This is where you’ll get your reps in. Because we only had four students, he only had to run each rep 4 times. If there were 8-10 people, you would get 8-10 reps of a drill.

Takeaways:
    As a shooter, I never knew a small, tight group of shots can give so many data points. That’s always been good enough for my instructors who move on help struggling shooters.

As an instructor, his methods are simple and straight forward. His use of technology is awesome. Why isn’t this being done more? Maybe it’s a little ironic that a guy named after an ogre is leading the charge with tech. I will be using some of his stuff when I am working with shooters.

I am not going to give a detailed play by play and itemized breakdown of every concept. If you want that, go to his class. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by ggammell; 08-24-20 at 09:53.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand