Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any changes in .308 defensive ammo in last few years?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Any changes in .308 defensive ammo in last few years?

Just inherited a 16" LMT MWS in 308 from my dad. I have zero 308 ammo currently.

I wont shoot this gun much since I have a 6.5 creed I shoot long range with. Im likely going to swap the 4-16x scope on it for something else like a 1-8x...or maybe even an Aimpoint T2. turn it into a more defensive oriented gun...

Anyway, long story short, researching defensive ammo. I dont need thousands of rounds...probably 200 will do me. I dont need 1000 yard 175g matchking ammo... Im a reloader, but I have no 308 stuff and dont think I want to spend a few hundred to get setup and buy components, etc... for something I will likely shoot very little.

Looking at something with the 155g Hornady ELD-M like TAP or Hornady has a "custom shop" loading for it that isnt crazy expensive and is actually available right now. Also thinking on 150g Federal Fusion... I have the 62g federal fusion that is in my home defense 5.56 SBR and that gets good reviews for inexpensive "defensive" ammo...

Anything in the "new hotness" category for .308 defensive ammo I should consider or is my gut instinct of something with the 155g Hornady ELD-M or 150g federal fusion likely the way to go?
    Last edited by rjacobs; 08-24-20 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't spend the money on the ELD-M unless you're going to be defending yourself from assailants 500+ yds away...

Just find any decent hunting ammo. My go-to .308 is still Hornady's old SST.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I haven't read much about it, but Speer now offers a 168 grain Gold Dot 308 Winchester load.

I bought a couple boxes of component bullets to try out, but I haven't loaded them up yet. I expect them to fly and expand/penetrate well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I wouldn't spend the money on the ELD-M unless you're going to be defending yourself from assailants 500+ yds away...

Just find any decent hunting ammo. My go-to .308 is still Hornady's old SST.
    Only reason I was looking at something with the ELD-M is that is what is loaded in TAP... I have no interest in it for its long range "potential".

Ill see if I can find anything with the SST... Looks like a "varmint" type bullet in its construction...if yer varmint weigh 200lbs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I haven't read much about it, but Speer now offers a 168 grain Gold Dot 308 Winchester load.

I bought a couple boxes of component bullets to try out, but I haven't loaded them up yet. I expect them to fly and expand/penetrate well.
    its probably similar to the Federal Fusion stuff... bonded soft point...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    155 TMK is the go to for short .308s in our arena. Even if you don't need the long range ability, it's there. AND it matches well to M80 ball's flight path.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    155 TMK is the go to for short .308s in our arena. Even if you don't need the long range ability, it's there. AND it matches well to M80 ball's flight path.
    Any factory/boutique ammo loaded with that bullet?

Like I said, im thinking 200 rounds is PLENTY for my uses so I would rather just buy a case, use 20 rounds to zero my scope and load up the rest into my mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Only reason I was looking at something with the ELD-M is that is what is loaded in TAP... I have no interest in it for its long range "potential".
    They may use it for the TAP line, but that doesn't mean it's a good defensive round. Based off of what I know about ELD, I would certainly never consider it for defensive use (the gelatin shots that Hornady provides are pretty mediocre, barely reaching the 12" of penetration); to me, it seems to be a competitor for FGMM's use by LE sniping, which my understanding is for precise unobstructed shots, which is probably a very different use than what any defensive use would be. I would suggest some sort of bonded 150 gr. bullet, as it seems anything heavier tends to suffer from overpenetration (though one could make the argument that massive penetration is where the .308 Win would be brought out anyway, otherwise just stick with .223 Rem).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just standardized on 168 OTM, faster up close than 175, should do the job. CBC and FGMM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Any factory/boutique ammo loaded with that bullet?
    I don't know. You mentioned being able to load, so... LMT/556's idea of 168s isn't bad. 200 rounds of FGMM is good stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast