Thread: Any changes in .308 defensive ammo in last few years?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Any changes in .308 defensive ammo in last few years?

Just inherited a 16" LMT MWS in 308 from my dad. I have zero 308 ammo currently.

I wont shoot this gun much since I have a 6.5 creed I shoot long range with. Im likely going to swap the 4-16x scope on it for something else like a 1-8x...or maybe even an Aimpoint T2. turn it into a more defensive oriented gun...

Anyway, long story short, researching defensive ammo. I dont need thousands of rounds...probably 200 will do me. I dont need 1000 yard 175g matchking ammo... Im a reloader, but I have no 308 stuff and dont think I want to spend a few hundred to get setup and buy components, etc... for something I will likely shoot very little.

Looking at something with the 155g Hornady ELD-M like TAP or Hornady has a "custom shop" loading for it that isnt crazy expensive and is actually available right now. Also thinking on 150g Federal Fusion... I have the 62g federal fusion that is in my home defense 5.56 SBR and that gets good reviews for inexpensive "defensive" ammo...

Anything in the "new hotness" category for .308 defensive ammo I should consider or is my gut instinct of something with the 155g Hornady ELD-M or 150g federal fusion likely the way to go?
    Last edited by rjacobs; 08-24-20 at 12:20.