Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for EDC fixed blade

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of ESEE knives as my go to work knife. Beat the crap out of them and they just keep on going. A majority of their lineup is 1095- geared more towards survival knives that need to take abuse and be easy to put an edge back on, however it does rust fairly easily.

For your use case, I'd think the ESEE 3 in S35vn would be a great option. I picked one up as an EDC alternative to my 1095 model. Holds a phenomenal edge and is a perfect size for a slightly larger EDC fixed blade.

If you decide to go more compact than that, the previously mentioned ESEE Izula is another fantastic choice. They make models in 1095 and 440c stainless.

Also a huge aftermarket for custom kydex sheaths for them. Armatus carry is my go to.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpetros View Post
    I'm a big fan of ESEE knives as my go to work knife. Beat the crap out of them and they just keep on going. A majority of their lineup is 1095- geared more towards survival knives that need to take abuse and be easy to put an edge back on, however it does rust fairly easily.

For your use case, I'd think the ESEE 3 in S35vn would be a great option. I picked one up as an EDC alternative to my 1095 model. Holds a phenomenal edge and is a perfect size for a slightly larger EDC fixed blade.

If you decide to go more compact than that, the previously mentioned ESEE Izula is another fantastic choice. They make models in 1095 and 440c stainless.

Also a huge aftermarket for custom kydex sheaths for them. Armatus carry is my go to.

I have an ESEE 5 that’s my go to “end of the world” knife. It’s more of big chunk of steel for digging, prying, and hammering that happens to have a sharp edge. I hadn’t checked their products in awhile and didn’t realize they had powder steels know—I like 1095 but between sweat and the amount of time I spend around salt water I hadn’t looked at them.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I have an ESEE 5 that’s my go to “end of the world” knife. It’s more of big chunk of steel for digging, prying, and hammering that happens to have a sharp edge. I hadn’t checked their products in awhile and didn’t realize they had powder steels know—I like 1095 but between sweat and the amount of time I spend around salt water I hadn’t looked at them.
    Definitely makes them a more viable EDC option

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I'd look at the EDC (3") or Field Knife (4.5") from Carothers Performance Knives. They are hard use knives and will serve you well.

Another option would be Fiddleback forge midtech Kephart or Bushfinger.
    +1 on CPK knives, esp anything in CPM-3V steel, kinda' their forte. Trick with those guy is always finding a knife available at the time you want one.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    ESEE 4
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Folks recommending ESEE--I like them too, I have two of the Junglas, but OP said: "I don't need it have dive knife corrosion resistance, but I live in Florida so I'd like something that isn't going to rust just from getting sweat on, or pick up rust if it gets exposed to salt water and it takes me a day to give it a thorough cleaning."

ESEE, with a couple of exceptions, are all 1095 steel which pretty much rusts if you look at it wrong.

There is 1 model in the ESEE 4 line that is stainless, this guy. Nice thing about ESEE is they give you everything you need, this package includes a good sheath:
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/RC4...ath-clip-plate

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the Northman and Magnus from Amtac. The Northman is pretty awesome, in that you're carrying this fix blade knife in your pocket quite easily, and it's fast to come out. I feel like the steel(M390) kinda sucks, but the steel has a good reputation. The guy who sharpens my knives hates it and likes AUS8 better! The Magnus is very nice also and disappears due to the Sayoc style sheath. They're coming out with a 4" knife to split the difference between the Northman and Magnus. Basically the Sayoc style sheath is awesome and any knife will benefit from it. Makes it super easy to conceal and deploy. There are companies who'll make a Sayoc style sheath for your knife so you could buy whatever you want and just have a sheath made.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Folks recommending ESEE--I like them too, I have two of the Junglas, but OP said: "I don't need it have dive knife corrosion resistance, but I live in Florida so I'd like something that isn't going to rust just from getting sweat on, or pick up rust if it gets exposed to salt water and it takes me a day to give it a thorough cleaning."

ESEE, with a couple of exceptions, are all 1095 steel which pretty much rusts if you look at it wrong.

There is 1 model in the ESEE 4 line that is stainless, this guy. Nice thing about ESEE is they give you everything you need, this package includes a good sheath:
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/RC4...ath-clip-plate
    Correct, that's why the S35vn ESEE 3 and 440c versions of the izula and ESEE 4 would all be great options for him.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I have the Northman and Magnus from Amtac. The Northman is pretty awesome, in that you're carrying this fix blade knife in your pocket quite easily, and it's fast to come out. I feel like the steel(M390) kinda sucks, but the steel has a good reputation. The guy who sharpens my knives hates it and likes AUS8 better! The Magnus is very nice also and disappears due to the Sayoc style sheath. They're coming out with a 4" knife to split the difference between the Northman and Magnus. Basically the Sayoc style sheath is awesome and any knife will benefit from it. Makes it super easy to conceal and deploy. There are companies who'll make a Sayoc style sheath for your knife so you could buy whatever you want and just have a sheath made.
    M390 is actually a great steel. Of course, it matters who is doing the heat treat as with any steel. It is harder to sharpen though so I see why your sharpening guy likes AUS8 which has nowhere near the edge holding ability.

A good steel wear retention list is here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...8-rope.793481/

The guy put a lot of work in testing different steels with different heat treats and RC hardness.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 08-27-20 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SOG KIKU - 4 INCH FIXED [S35VN]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast