Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 77gr smk 11.5” barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    You cant lump all OTMs is the same boat. The SMK design tends to have a longer neck length than the noslers or hornady OTMs thus is less prone to fragmenting putting it closer to FMJ performance than any of the other OTMs comparatively.

Pointblank dropped a gem of knowledge that passed over everyones heads. Some of the sources he listed actually shot people with Mk262 and were less than impressed which correlates to professional gel testing showing that Mk262 isnt as good as OTM TAP, Mk318 or M855A1. Yet we want to trust shooting jugs as some kind of metric. Im all for more data and have done jug testing myself but trying to make conclusions from jug testing other than "will it or wont it" isnt useful.
    What are your thoughts on Black Hill’s 77gr TMK? With the polymer tip for earlier fragmentation?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    What are your thoughts on Black Hill’s 77gr TMK? With the polymer tip for earlier fragmentation?
    I have a mag of 77gr TMK loaded for precision or limited penetration use. That should tell you how highly I think of that bullet design.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a mag of 77gr TMK loaded for precision or limited penetration use. That should tell you how highly I think of that bullet design.
    Just curious, what are your preferred rounds? For HD/SD? Vehicle? Precision? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Just curious, what are your preferred rounds? For HD/SD? Vehicle? Precision? Thanks.
    For general purpose HD ARs: 75gr Gold Dot
    For the scoped AR: BH 77gr TMK

Theres no one round that does it all, every design has compromises.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    For general purpose HD ARs: 75gr Gold Dot
    For the scoped AR: BH 77gr TMK

Theres no one round that does it all, every design has compromises.
    Why do you choose the 75gr GD? Does it also do well out of shorter barrels?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Why do you choose the 75gr GD? Does it also do well out of shorter barrels?
    Excellent expansion and higher retained weight than the lighter gold dots or other bonded SPs. Works well out of short barrels and long barrels. Low velocity but I wont be shooting very far with it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Have you checked POI shift between the Gold Dot 78s and TMKs? I have a bunch of 64 gold dots, but don't mess with them due to the big weight swing from 77s that almost always gives me a significant POI shift.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Have you checked POI shift between the Gold Dot 78s and TMKs? I have a bunch of 64 gold dots, but don't mess with them due to the big weight swing from 77s that almost always gives me a significant POI shift.
    For me factory BH 77gr TMK always shoots 2-3" higher using a 50yd zero using different barrels(left or right shift will depend on your barrel). Granted it has a ~150 fps advantage out of a 14.5" but I bet if you loaded the 75gr GDSP to the same velocity the vertical shift due to velocity would be minimal.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ubet, maybe you could bump up your velocity ? I know BH is king but, We got 2,508 fps out of Black Hills factory ammo out of a 10.5 barrel. God and BH's only knows how they do it and maybe not get BH velocity but I bet you could get a bump.

On the other hand, that may not interest you. Good luck.

I have the 64grain GD on my HD weapon.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-28-20 at 14:56.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Ubet, maybe you could bump up your velocity ? I know BH is king but, We got 2,508 fps out of Black Hills factory ammo out of a 10.5 barrel.
    I wonder how fast the velocity drops. 2508 would seem to keep frag out to at least 300-400 yards with the TMK.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast