Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 77gr smk 11.5” barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    Paul Harrell recently tested a few different loads comparing them in 10.5" and 20" barrels for velocity, and effect at 200 yards on the meat target. He was getting 2240 fps with 77gr SMK BTHPs out of the 10.5", and expansion at 200 yards.

I saw your post about the awhile back. And it's the reason I'm trying the 77s. So shooting pork ribs isn't similar to shooting a person, I know this. But I am not sure how rendering down pork ribs etc is an example of shooting humans either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I saw your post about the awhile back. And it's the reason I'm trying the 77s. So shooting pork ribs isn't similar to shooting a person, I know this. But I am not sure how rendering down pork ribs etc is an example of shooting humans either.

I know it's not a controlled laboratory situation, but I don't see much else out there that is available online. So, it's informative to some degree.

I've got 5.56 pistol uppers in 10.5 and 11.5 myself, so I had a watch. I'm currently loading with the MagTech 77gr OTM load.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

The biggest difference is Pork Ribs don't shoot back! Might get you in the morning though.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Is there an online resource where we can see live tissue results from the 77gr SMK from an 11.5" barrel, at 200 yards?

If there is, please share a link. Thanks.
    Talk to people who hunt with 5.56, plenty of evidence out there. [Warning: deer gore ahead]

From Leid
    This is the exit wound produced by a 77GR. SMK OTM based BHA MK 262 MOD 1 cartridge fired from a 10.0" 1x7 M4 @ 100yds. without hitting the vertebral column. SMKs usually do little tissue damage unless they yaw and fragment. But the problem is that SMKs can be very unpredictable as to when they yaw. Sometime they yaw early so work well. But other times they don't yaw at all inside the flesh and bone target so produce little tissue damage (like with the coyote pictured below). This 77GR. SMK yawed after penetrating about 4" of flesh so it produced a respectable exit wound. It also took out the jugular so this deer dropped straight to the ground & bleed out in seconds.

vs something like a TMK

The TMK and the TSX are both expanding bullets & both have proven to be quite effective on flesh & bone targets for me. But they are quite dis-similar in their degree of fragmentation. The 70GR. TSX expanded to 0.48" when fired out of the 10.0" M4 in water but there was no fragmentation at all to aid in tissue damage. The core of the 77GR. TMK expanded to just about the same frontal area as the TSX. But with all the high speed fragments coming off the TMK core, the 77GR. TMK has yielded a great deal more tissue damage than the 62GR. or 70GR. TSX wounds I have seen. The TMK expands very rapidly and fragments to a great degree. SIERRA will only recommend the TMK for use on varmints. I was not even sure if the 77GR. TMK fired from a 16" 1x7 barrel would hold together well enough to produce an exit wound on the whitetail at 125yds. But it performed quite well. The expanded 77GR. TMK core along with all the high speed lead/jacket fragments exited producing a very respectable 2.5" exit wound (below). However, I still prefer a 5.56MM pressure 62GR. TSX/TTSX or 70GR. TSX for use on the larger deer I hunt just in case of a raking shot where quick expansion/100% weight retention/deep penetration might be needed.

I have also used both the 69GR. & 77GR. TMKs on bobcats; the TMK about cuts them in half inside 100yds. And I expect pretty much the same terminal performance on coyotes.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-29-20 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    Is there an online resource where we can see live tissue results from the 77gr SMK from an 11.5" barrel, at 200 yards?

If there is, please share a link. Thanks.
    There are plenty of science journals that will help you understand the difference between living human tissue and butchered animal tissue that has been dead for weeks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    The biggest difference is Pork Ribs don't shoot back! Might get you in the morning though.

PB
    Yeah I had em last night, lol.
    Baltic gel doesn’t shoot back either though. For the record I’m not poo-pooing gel. It as with other things has its place. Just wondering why real meat is so frowned on.

Feedback Score

77gr smk 11.5” barrel

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Talk to people who hunt with 5.56, plenty of evidence out there. [Warning: deer gore ahead]

From Leid

vs something like a TMK
    Thank you for those. Quit interesting.
    I’ve seen the smk destroy coyotes though.
    So much info out there to take in.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yeah I had em last night, lol.
    Baltic gel doesn’t shoot back either though. For the record I’m not poo-pooing gel. It as with other things has its place. Just wondering why real meat is so frowned on.

Dead meat out of the freezer is very different than living bleeding meat.

Thank you for those. Quit interesting.
    I’ve seen the smk destroy coyotes though.
    So much info out there to take in.

When SMK works, it works great. When it doesnt work you get what you see above, the bullet just yaws and exits out sideways. Its that inconsistency thats the problem, the SMK was just never designed for terminal performance.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-29-20 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

From Leid

vs something like a TMK

Those are nice pics. Thanks for sharing them.

I'm not sure they show damage much different that Paul's meat target. Small holes in, big holes out, mush in between.

I get it not living is gonna be drier, not pressurized with blood and all. Still, Paul's rests will give some good indicators on penetration, damage, bullet deformation....or lack therof.

Feedback Score
    Those are nice pics. Thanks for sharing them.

I'm not sure they show damage much different that Paul's meat target. Small holes in, big holes out, mush in between.

I get it not living is gonna be drier, not pressurized with blood and all. Still, Paul's rests will give some good indicators on penetration, damage, bullet deformation....or lack therof.
    From my experience in trauma, his tests of .22 and birdshot and the conclusions alluded to are not in fact any indicator of real world shootings.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast