Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 77gr smk 11.5” barrel

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Ill add the disclaimer that everything below is in reference to the 77gr TMK terminal ballistics, but not exclusively with short barrels. I also can’t claim to know even half as much as some of you on this subject, so realize I am just passing along information, I have not exhaustively fact checked it.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre....130488/page-2

The link above is a thread on .223 vs bear, deer, and elk over on Rokslide. Quite a few pics of 77gr TMK against deer at varying ranges. Its kind of long but the whole thread is worth a read. Or just skim and read anything "Formidilosus" posts. He has 77gr TMK wound pictures on pg 2 and pg 10. He refers mainly to four legged critters, but I'm pretty sure he works with dudes who put down bipeds as well.

To cherry pick a couple of his posts in that thread:

"...between hunting and depredation I have killed and seen killed hundreds of deer.... and a few more than that. Around 40 deer with Barnes it was clear that they create less damage, and the animals run farther after being shot. I’m only personally at around 100 deer with 77gr TMK’s and the farthest animal has traveled less than 30 feet sliding downhill.
    This is why I constantly go against the grain with “shoot a Barnes!”
    Barnes TSX’s and other monos create relatively narrow wound channels and consequently kill slower. The wound from a 62gr TSX really isn’t a whole lot different than from a mechanical broadhead. 77gr TMK’s, 75gr SPGD, 75gr AMAX/ELD-M, etc. create horrific wounds, and kill very quickly.”

“To be clear Barnes TSX/TTSX’s are good bullets. But unless you hit the CNS animals run farther than with others. The TMK does more damage on average than the .308 168gr Ballistic Tips, while giving 18-22” of penetration."

“In any case, the 77gr TMK-
    Is generally stable through transonic when fired from suitable twist rates. Consistent and wide upset should be expected to +-/ 1,900fps impact velocity. Minimum (read minimal) upset down to 1,600’ish FPS.
    Wound channels in big game (deer and bigger) are... extreme to around 2,300fps impact. From 2,200 or so down to approx 2,000fps impact wounds will be similar to conventional bullet from 270/30-06/etc class rounds. Below 2,000fps wounds will be similar to solid copper monolithic bullets such as Barnes TSX.
    In laymen’s terms, from 20-24” barreled 223’s with MV’s of 2750+ FPS, the 77gr TMK is an emphatic killer inside of 300 or so yards. Most would consider it too much on even big deer. From 300+/- yards to 450 yards or so, it is a solid performer terminally generally giving exits on normal sized deer, and is 50/50 on being caught under the skin on the offside on big deer or major bones being hit. Past 450 to around 550-600 yards, it will kill, but effects on animals is similar to a good broadhead, I.E.- 10-20 seconds before succumbing.”

Another member: “Any idea on how the bullet performs out of a 12.5” barrel on game?”
    Formidilosus: “Very well. A little less temporary stretch cavity than at higher velocities, but still very good.”
    Another member: “When you say less TSC damage, is the actual wound channel smaller? I was under the impression that TSC was essentially the same as the permanent cavity in violently fragmenting bullets like the TMK.
    Formidilosus: “The temporary stretch cavity and permanent crush cavity will be more similar with fragmenting bullets than with non fragmenting such as monolithics, however the permanent cavity will be smaller than temporary in all. In this specific case however, the wound from a bullet with 200-300fps less MV will produce smaller wounds at the same range as bullets launched faster.”

There’s more where that came from, but its probably better to take it all in the proper context.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Black Hills sent me a bunch of ballistic gel images from TMKs a while back. I can't find it now and never really studied it closely because I already knew from my own tests that they fragmented brilliantly.

We debated doing the 200 yard 10.5 SMK test today but scrapped it for now. No matter what the results, the booger brains in this section of the forum would find fault in the results... i.e. the humidity level at the altitude where the test was done wasn't correct for the angle of the shot at the temperature of the air for that time of day. It's a no win situation here.... and why I generally avoid this area.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Black Hills sent me a bunch of ballistic gel images from TMKs a while back. I can't find it now and never really studied it closely because I already knew from my own tests that they fragmented brilliantly.

We debated doing the 200 yard 10.5 SMK test today but scrapped it for now. No matter what the results, the booger brains in this section of the forum would find fault in the results... i.e. the humidity level at the altitude where the test was done wasn't correct for the angle of the shot at the temperature of the air for that time of day. It's a no win situation here.... and why I generally avoid this area.
    If you could find them that would be great, there was a pic of a low velocity gel shot that I cant find on the internet anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    There are plenty of science journals that will help you understand the difference between living human tissue and butchered animal tissue that has been dead for weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That isn't what I'm interested in. I do have a fair understanding of wound ballistics.

My interest was very specific, 77gr SMK at 200 yards, from 11.5" barrel.

It's all good though, I understand nobody really has or keeps all that kind of specific data. I still like Paul's videos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    That isn't what I'm interested in. I do have a fair understanding of wound ballistics.

My interest was very specific, 77gr SMK at 200 yards, from 11.5" barrel.

It's all good though, I understand nobody really has or keeps all that kind of specific data. I still like Paul's videos.
    You can like them but yeah, they are entertainment only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    You can like them but yeah, they are entertainment only.

Are you a real wound ballistics expert, or do you just play one on the internet?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Are you a real wound ballistics expert, or do you just play one on the internet?
    Bro. Shooting fruit and meat and attempting to pretend its a repeatable experiment is genuinely bubba, despite how much fun it may be. And there is a consensus of professionals that agree with that, thus other positions must prove their case, not vice-versa.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    While Paul's tests are not as realistic as testing on a live human, pumped up on captagon, they do reveal some useful info.

For example, out of four or five rounds, none blew up, none penciled through. They all deformed to some degree and caused serious damage to the target.

Not everybody will accept that information as useful, but I do.

Feedback Score
    I work trauma intensive care. I also have a very strong grasp for anatomy, physiology, and have knowledge about what happens to living tissue post-mortem. I’ve also done my fair share of eating groceries as well as butchering my own meat. I can recognize the differences between groceries and living human beings. Furthermore, I have read the writings of wound ballistics experts and none of them advocate shooting groceries to determine efficacy of a given load.

If you have desire to hear what the experts say, please consult them instead of watching Paul Harrell.

Any other questions I can help you with?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Bro. Shooting fruit and meat and attempting to pretend its a repeatable experiment is genuinely bubba, despite how much fun it may be. And there is a consensus of professionals that agree with that, thus other positions must prove their case, not vice-versa.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast