Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 77gr smk 11.5” barrel

Feedback Score
    Granted MK262 isn’t my first or second or third choice. But if it’s all I had I wouldn’t fret.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always though Mk262's claim to fame is increased accuracy and range, which leads to increased kills.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I always though Mk262's claim to fame is increased accuracy and range, which leads to increased kills.
    Pretty much.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Yep 77gr SMK doesnt fragment as easily as 77gr noslers and 75gr hornady and should be considered just above FMJs in the fragmenting category.
    55gr FMJ and OTMs are MILES apart in frag. I've shot gobbs of gel and water tests over the years with many bullets. I've downloaded 77s to transonic (1450+/- here) and they didn't frag, but never anything to simulate velocity drop at a few hundred yards.

And now I have to do it. We'll get the chrono and the Gel jugs set up in the next few weeks. Try to get around 2000 fps say???
    Last edited by markm; 08-27-20 at 08:47.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    55gr FMJ and OTMs are MILES apart in frag. I've shot gobbs of gel and water tests over the years with many bullets. I've downloaded 77s to transonic (1450+/- here) and they didn't frag, but never anything to simulate velocity drop at a few hundred yards.

And now I have to do it. We'll get the chrono and the Gel jugs set up in the next few weeks. Try to get around 2000 fps say???
    I’d be very interested to see the results of this. Penetration and frag. Are you mixing gel in the jugs? Never thought of doing that.

Feedback Score

77gr smk 11.5” barrel

Thank you. You're insight is priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

You cant lump all OTMs is the same boat. The SMK design tends to have a longer neck length than the noslers or hornady OTMs thus is less prone to fragmenting putting it closer to FMJ performance than any of the other OTMs comparatively.

Pointblank dropped a gem of knowledge that passed over everyones heads. Some of the sources he listed actually shot people with Mk262 and were less than impressed which correlates to professional gel testing showing that Mk262 isnt as good as OTM TAP, Mk318 or M855A1. Yet we want to trust shooting jugs as some kind of metric. Im all for more data and have done jug testing myself but trying to make conclusions from jug testing other than "will it or wont it" isnt useful.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I didn't realize this thread was in the Terminal Ballistics section, or I wouldn't have posted. But anyhow... rather than download 77s, I think I'll take a 10.5, put a scope on it, and shoot the gel at 200 yards with a SMK 77 gr OTM.

I'll be massively shocked if the bullet fails to frag.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I didn't realize this thread was in the Terminal Ballistics section, or I wouldn't have posted.
    Can't see how it wouldn't be. OP was asking about the expansion threshold of a bullet that was never intended my the manufacturer to have expansion properties. It's purpose built as a match/target round. Fragmentation was not a design feature.

If you want 100% fragmentation of the 77SMK, shoot some car windshields

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Can't see how it wouldn't be. OP was asking about the expansion threshold of a bullet that was never intended my the manufacturer to have expansion properties. It's purpose built as a match/target round. Fragmentation was not a design feature.
    This just popped up on new posts. I assumed it was ammo/reloading

If you want 100% fragmentation of the 77SMK, shoot some car windshields
    I shot a bunch of rounds into windsheilds. Nothing 556 gets through nicely. I think this was back before bonded was commonly available though.

While we're on the frag waggon. Here's the last one I shot a few weeks back:

87 gr BARNES OTM/Black Hills. (fragged so bad this is all I could find)

Last edited by markm; 08-27-20 at 14:23.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast