Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 77gr smk 11.5” barrel

Feedback Score
    Update: I wanted to run tests to get higher velocity but with primers in short supply I kept with my current loading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Update: I wanted to run tests to get higher velocity but with primers in short supply I kept with my current loading

Yea, pissing away primers for shits and giggles is something we used to do. Makes me ill and I'm stacked pretty deep.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I like to get empirical data from gel testing, and then use what is proven in gel on the field. From my experience shooting deer with 223/556, results are often similar to gel tests. I like having data from shooting deer, because while not all deer are the same size/construction, and shot placement is a variable, deer and humans are both thin skinned, relatively light boned creatures of similar weight. And tissue damage in real, living tissue is much different from dead meat from the store. From the several deer I've shot with it, and all the results of others, the 77gr TMK is THE best bullet for fast kills out to 400yards with the 556. From deer to black bear to elk out to say 500 yards, the TMK puts them down, and fast. Tissue damage looks like a 308. The 77gr SMK works, but in real game it fails surprisingly often, say 5 in 100 bullets icepick through. If using the SMK I try and hit the shoulder because impacting large bone helps ensure fragmentation. There are much better options than SMK, especially in short barrels. Another load I have been disappointed in the the 50gr TSX, it has performed surprisingly poorly in hogs I've seen shot, despite seemingly being a veritable deathray on paper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eda View Post
    I like to get empirical data from gel testing, and then use what is proven in gel on the field. From my experience shooting deer with 223/556, results are often similar to gel tests. I like having data from shooting deer, because while not all deer are the same size/construction, and shot placement is a variable, deer and humans are both thin skinned, relatively light boned creatures of similar weight. And tissue damage in real, living tissue is much different from dead meat from the store. From the several deer I've shot with it, and all the results of others, the 77gr TMK is THE best bullet for fast kills out to 400yards with the 556. From deer to black bear to elk out to say 500 yards, the TMK puts them down, and fast. Tissue damage looks like a 308. The 77gr SMK works, but in real game it fails surprisingly often, say 5 in 100 bullets icepick through. If using the SMK I try and hit the shoulder because impacting large bone helps ensure fragmentation. There are much better options than SMK, especially in short barrels. Another load I have been disappointed in the the 50gr TSX, it has performed surprisingly poorly in hogs I've seen shot, despite seemingly being a veritable deathray on paper.
    Thanks for that, I think bullets on live game is a great indication of performance. But with the reloading supply chain the way it is, I am carefuly about the bullets I am expending currently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Eh. It's a rifle. It's all gonna work for home defense...this is just like a 9mm vs 45 debate to me anymore.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Anyone with field experience using 75 Gold Dot? I have only shot 3 deer with it, but it worked very well. 13" barreled 556 at 45-105 yds. Very accurate out of every gun I have tried.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Bumper for more info, hopefully.

TIA,
    Keith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Mk262 somehow got this mythical status as during the GWOT when in reality you were either using this or green tip.
    Yeah, probably due to improved predictability over 855&193, and accuracy. In close quarters otm is pretty consistent but bonded soft point is much better. Also, cannelured otms frag more consistently than normal bullets.

Op, why are you only getting 2200fps, im surprised your gun cycles.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-06-24 at 20:15.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Today we ran some mark handholds out of my 11.5 KAC. 69 grain RMR, VV 22.4 grains, wolf primer and got 2,351FPS

I picked up some crazy rose colored brass at the range the other day and Mark tossed in some 69 RMR's, here is what the brass looked like. And compared to our 88 grain brass load.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score

77gr smk 11.5” barrel

Wow I had completely forgot about this thread! I need to go back though it as I’m about to do a mass purchase of bullets.

I have shot prairie dogs with the 62gr bthp Hornady, and they were destroying them, almost cutting them in half. And as mentioned, the 77smk did expand a little. Granted prairie dogs don’t break into peoples homes very often. It’s all the data I have on live tissue with 77smk and the 62s.

With 308smk I’ve had it destroy antelope, coyote, deer and wild pigs. I dropped an elk with it drt, but it was also through the cns, right behind the head on the run. But it did pile her up.

Last edited by ubet; 01-07-24 at 09:14.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789